Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how long this "walleye run" lasts in the Detroit River. I know that April is supposed to be the best month for it, and I always thought by late may and into the summer the walleyes went back out into the lake. I've also been hearing guys say it only gets better from now on so I really don't know what to expect. So how long will this hot walleye bite last until? And how long will jigging be the preferred method to catch them. Thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Walleye are in the DR year round.
They just spread out and it's much harder to find the big Ole gals like during the spring "Walleye Run".
You can jig or hand line until the white bass or weeds get too annoying.:dizzy: :)
Good luck to ya

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I actually think the last 2 weeks in april till the first 2 weeks of may are the best. The walleye do stay there all year. You just need to go deeper when the water warms up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
FISH21 said:
I was just wondering how long this "walleye run" lasts in the Detroit River. I know that April is supposed to be the best month for it, and I always thought by late may and into the summer the walleyes went back out into the lake. I've also been hearing guys say it only gets better from now on so I really don't know what to expect. So how long will this hot walleye bite last until? And how long will jigging be the preferred method to catch them. Thanks.
May is a great month for eyes in the river, once the spawning is over the eyes go on a feeding fit, they will be in certin areas of the river but once you find them be ready, alot of the fish don't leave the river at all, the problem is there will be alot of boat traffic, you can jig for them all year round.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts