Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really love to catch a musky in the river. I know a good number of them are caught while fishing for walleye/pike, but I would really like to go target them specifically.

After reading the post regarding fly fishing in this forum, it makes me think that it is quite possible to find them. The article talked about 6 miles north of the Lake Erie Metro Park launch. I am guessing that would mean somewhere in the Stony Island/Dunbar area. I know an old neighbor of mine talked about catching them trolling with bucktail spinners just north of Stony Island. I went with him once with no luck.

Would anyone be willing to share any advice, locations, baits, presentations to aid my musky search. Thanks.

And yes, I know the season isn't open yet.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The area you are mentioning is a good area for muskies. My cousin has caught many there in the area. The only issue is there are probly not that many there to target. You may troll all day for 1 musky.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just got off the phone with jon bondy after finding his website by googling bondy baits. real nice guy. he is booked june/july except for july 4th. sounds like he fishes the mid river area i would prefer during those months. i will be picking up a few of his baits to see what i can do with them.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Do yourself a favor and book a trip with him for October. Last year we fished next to him one morning around the end of October and watched him catch 10 Muskies and he quit before 11am. The biggest was just over 51".

I will be using some Bondy Baits this Saturday in the middle river area. You may want to try by BASF (the concrete portion of the wall). I lost a couple earlier this year in there (jigging for walleyes). When the season opens, I usually look for areas where there is a large weed flat close to some deep water. You can cast in the shallow areas early and late in the day with bucktails or other shallow type baits, however, when the sun gets up high, you have to go down deep with the Bondy Baits to get them. Try bringing them to the surface every few minutes and drop them back down. Make sure you pay attention on the way up and down. My biggest came right at the side of the boat after I brought my Bondy Bait up to check it.

In-Fisherman is supposed to be coming out to shoot a show with Jon sometime in June.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are probably quite a few niche area's that hold muskies in the summer. We have in last couple year's, taken a few in flats area of the DR. That is specifically east of Grosse Isle, on the canadian side. The ones we have caught have been accidentals to fishing w/ bottom bouncers for walleye. Most have been taken in the late morning/early afternoon up against the shipping channels with a high sky.. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You don't need a bondy bait. Any of the larger shad style baits will work just as well. Bulldawgs are another good option.

I remember an article Gwidz wrote not many years ago when the two of them went fishing the shallow waters up on Lake St. Clair during the opener and were catching a bunch of dinks and "having a great time." For what it's worth, the areas that bondy now fishes have produced good muskie fishing far longer than bondy has been guiding there. It's a shame that he's let the cat out of the bag, as fishing success has really decreased in those areas since he's been shouting about it.

Obviously, he's not the only one to blame. A few others have been quick to create their own fame as well, but Bondy is the one whose X on the spot has been the most visible.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Sure you can theoretically catch them on other things. However, if you are jigging, a Bull-dawg is too light for jigging in deep water. I have tried shad bodies and they will hit them, however, you lose too many. I don't understand why you are trashing Jon. Ask anyone who has ever fished with him what they think about him. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who will say anything negative.

·
Registered
531 Posts
QuickStrike said:
For what it's worth, the areas that bondy now fishes have produced good muskie fishing far longer than bondy has been guiding there. It's a shame that he's let the cat out of the bag, as fishing success has really decreased in those areas since he's been shouting about it.

Obviously, he's not the only one to blame. A few others have been quick to create their own fame as well, but Bondy is the one whose X on the spot has been the most visible.
Sorry it ruined the "members only" secret spots:bowdown:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone else besides slimshady fishing the mid river tomorrow for the musky opener? Got the bondy baits in the mail today. Might try to jig them some tomorrow. Good luck slim and everyone else.

·
Registered
531 Posts
JLP said:
Anyone else besides slimshady fishing the mid river tomorrow for the musky opener? Got the bondy baits in the mail today. Might try to jig them some tomorrow. Good luck slim and everyone else.
Every time I have gone with slim fishing for muskie, we have never been skunked with the bondy bait. The first one I caught (48") I was letting it sit suspended for a few seconds (while giving my arm a break) and it hit it so hard it almost ripped the rod out of my arms. Good luck and hopefully we will see you out on the river sometime.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Jon is a great guy and good guide, he is mentioned in In-Fisherman and Walleye Insider. Thats how he makes his living and spends lots of time on the water. But I understand the muskies are fragile and if you get everbody and their brother catching them it takes a toll, but thats Michigan if anything good is going on its a madhouse and people are greedy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a boat come up to us today to warn us of the storm. It happened to be slim (and rifleman i am guessing). He noticed the bondy bait I was using and asked about the website. Very nice guys. I actually caught my first musky on the bondy bait. That is before I lost the bondy bait to a snag! I will post a picture here in a minute.

Slim, did you guys get back out after the storm? We waited it out and got back out to the awesome conditions only to not catch anything besides a few silvers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jon has always been a decent guy and dose not deserve to be ripped for doing what he loves to do!

For those of you who get hung up on snags purchase yourself a little lure insurance. These heavy duty retrievers work great! Some days I've saved 5 or 6 baits alone. :D

I'll have a bunch of them with me in the boat,
815-351-4241
Jerry

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't be afraid to cast bucktails with stingers hooks near the north end of the river.

If you don't believe me, ask the tournament bass fisherman how many muskies they get with spinner baits when targeting bass in the river.

·
Registered
531 Posts
JLP said:
Had a boat come up to us today to warn us of the storm. It happened to be slim (and rifleman i am guessing). He noticed the bondy bait I was using and asked about the website. Very nice guys. I actually caught my first musky on the bondy bait. That is before I lost the bondy bait to a snag! I will post a picture here in a minute.

Slim, did you guys get back out after the storm? We waited it out and got back out to the awesome conditions only to not catch anything besides a few silvers.
Wasn't me fishing with slim on Sat but his Dad (who was out fishing with him) picked up one after getting back out after the storm (smaller side, 39"). I talked to him that night and he had said he had ran into you on the river. Congrats on the first muskie! Also, did it storm that bad on the river? I see you said u had waited it out ( I called him and gave him a warning b/c the sky turned black towards where I live and I knew he was out on the river).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.