Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buddy at work was telling me that they caught a 'yote downtown and "isn't that the strangest thing?"

ahhh, not really.

What I did think was really strange was heading to the joe one day and coming across three Cock Pheasants standing not 20yds off Woodward down in the 'hood!! What the .... !! :confused:

had to circle around to make sure I was seeing that right!

anyone else seen them down there? (and no, I wasn't drinking..... yet!) :lol:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I work in Hamtramck at the GM Assembly plant and I have seen many pheaseants and fox and even coyote's in back of the plant. There are 100's of birds downtown!

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
I see more pheasants in the big city than out in cropland anymore. Detroit is infested with them. About 5 or six years ago I hit not one, but two at once at Davison and the Lodge. Did a number on the windshield. Have them filling their crops behind the shop downtown and the one on 8 Mile every day.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I work downtown and we walk the riverfront every day that the weather permits.

There are lots near the old Globe Trading Company building (near state park) where we consistently put up 6-10 birds nearly every day during the summer. I have done my fair share of pheasant hunts and these are the biggest damn birds I have ever seen. More like small turkeys.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've seen a boat load of phesants downtown. One time I drove buy a fenced in overgrown lot and there must have a been 75 - 100 birds in that one lot. Turned around to snap a pic cuz I knew no one would beleive me! I'll do some digging and try to find that pic.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Near the old GM Building on W. Grand Blvd there were pheasnts crowing every morning along the overgrown parts of the RR tracks. Birds I saw were huge! Also Peregrine falcons that prey on the local pigeons. Amazing to hear their piercing shrieks in the "concrete canyons". Pigeons learned to fly real close to the buildiings but there were enough leftovers from kills on the sidewalk to show the falcons were busy! Sure took care of the scragglier skyrats!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Used to launch my boat at the Detroit Edison Boat club near Conner & Jefferson, tons in that area. Michigan & 94 has them walking the freeway all the time too.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I use to work french and harper area .Real nice huh:( .Anyways i use to see so many birds it was unreal.Most of them near tracks .Guy i know says most of them get no presure there and they are feeding on grian that falls off train carts.We use to see the ringneck that are suppose to be so rare all the time there.One day we was standing in the yr and co worker noticed me and buddy watching them.He asked us if that was a peacock:lol: .He was a native detoileter.So most there dont even know what they are.Down near River Rock Cafe i counted close to 20 in parking lot .Walking around like nothing .Crazy but true,Mich

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I work in Dearborn near the Ford Rouge plant. It's not uncommon to see 6-10 pheasants every morning during the summer and fall pecking around on the overgrown empty lot down the street. These are monster birds. They just strut around like barnyard chickens. Any one of them would make a taxidermist proud. It's hard to resist taking a stuffer bird with the 1000fps GAMO pellet gun...:evilsmile

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Been that way for years. I can remember back in the 70's seeing them picking gravel every day along the freeways. Used to be a lot of them in downtown Flint also. You'd think the stray dogs and cats (and now the 'yotes) would get most of them, but they seem to be pretty wily birds having grown up in those areas.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've seen more roosters in detroit than I have anywhere. They like the cover all the abandoned lots provide.

Ive seen over 50 last year and about 15 so far this year. Now is the time I see the most.

I have also seen a stray dog headed down the street with a rooster in its mouth.:corkysm55

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I had heard that the DNR was interested in the downtown birds because there DNA is from the originals that were introduced here in Michigan. With all the budget cuts I could see that not happening though.

Ken

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Some years ago, Tim Paign visited a MDHA Blue Water Chapter meeting. He asked of locals that the state might capture some birds to bread with the Szechwan birds being planted at the time. He was referred to the inner city. The surprised look on his face was priceless.:lol: They did capture some birds we were informed months later. :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
I see pheasants everyday walking up and down the tracks next to the plant here at 6 Mile and Ryan. There is an abundance of heavy brush along the tracks for them to hide in, and the rossters make alot a racket sounding off during the breeding season.

When I was working for the county in Highland Park we would see some awful nice Roosters daily right on HP High Schools football field, one was fond of strutting his stuff on a small set of bleachers adjacent to the larger bleachers.

Heck, two years ago there were a pair of geese that nested next door at the prison. Everyday when we were heading out the plant gate at the end of the day the adults would be watching the youngsters foraging on the lawn and taunting me with their leg bands.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I saw four yesterday on van dyke between 94 and seven mile. one lone rooster and a rooster with two hens.

Got stuck waiting for a train, so I thought what the heck, I'll drive down one of the side streets, and saw a rooster in between two burned out houses. I'd take a picture, but you probably wouldn't be able to see the bird with all the trash and tires laying in the open fields.

Almost could invest in some vacant lots and create a hunting preserve. :lol:

Just a thought.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts