Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to break in the new OB. After 2 hrs of that I finally got a chance to pull wire. I started below the Belle Isle bridge. and got two 17 inchers in the boat and lost one larger fish. I only made 3 passes there. I tried 1 pass infront of the rooster tail and got nothing. Due to the fact that it was raining and snowing with 2 footers blowing up I called it a day. Not one othere boat on the water.

All three bit on a special painted # 9 Rap (photo in my gallery of the Rap.) The water was just slightly stained to clear on the American side. The Canadian. side was almost unfishable mud. I did notice accross from peach Island by the bait shop, There were a bunch of birds eating minnows . Prob Emerald shiners.

I Put the boat in at St. Jean. Docks are in.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ed, Great report!
Glad to hear you were into the fish today.
I'll be ready to go this weekend.
Question, do the docks there have any improvements from the years before?

-LB :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks.
Sure was hoping they would do something with those.

-LB :)

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Cool Ed. I cant wait to get out there and start jigging.:)

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
How long before they're hanging above the counter at Lakeside. :D

Checked out your gallery pictures...wild looking paint on those Rapalas! Thinking about painting my own...anything special about the paint/prep work?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nothing special. I got a great deal on raps when wallmart mis-marked then :D I ended up with a bunch of silver and blacks. the ones in the photo have been hot on the Det river the last 2or 3 years. before that it was a weard pearl and lime green. As you can tell from the photo , I end up with more paint on my fingers than my hand. (spray can paint)

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
That always happened to me too. (with spray paint) Now I use these plastic handles that attach to the top of the spraycan, which turns it into a trigger type sprayer. They works great with no mess!

Now I'll have to pickup some paint and grab some old Rapalas! Thanks for the info!

--Matt

·
Registered
959 Posts
great job!! I think you are the first to post of catching fish on the river this year. AND SO IT BEGINS! :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Great job Ed. That area was always a good spot for me also.
Question, how many arches on the bridge where you out? I always seemed to pick-up fish about the third arch out from shore on the south side of the bridge.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JeffK I got them even with the 3 rd or 4 th. arch. I normally do good sliding in close but this day the fish were down river from the bridge 50 to 100 yrds .

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The O.B. is a 15 hp. Merc. 4 stroke. It worked great. It only has to push a empty 16 footer in the spring and fall-- it serves as a kicker on the big boat.
I fished the river today. The whole river got mudded up . 4 hrs fishing not a bite. The winds kept me off the mouth of the river. goood lukc all.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
COOL ED YOU HAD TO BE THE FIRST DIE HARD LOL KEEP ON KEEPIN ON LIMITS JUST AROUND THE CORNER.

EDDIE A/K/A MING MING

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Percheye, what I ment by Rap. is Rapala-- Most who wire line use Rapala original floating. in size # 7,8,9. The only other thing I use wirelining is sml. spoons. I have tried a Long-A-bomber with limited success

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I checked the launch Saturday and the water was like glass. Went back to fish Sunday and there was too much chop for my taste. I saw two trailers at the launch but just your boat south of the bridge.

Never fished out of St.Jean before. Have you guys had any problems with your vehicles there?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts