Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a buck has a screwed up rack...for example...a scrubby buck with one side normal and the other going straight up and forking off..........will his off spring have normal or screwed up racks too?

Is antler genetics passes on to off spring?

·
Registered
26,528 Posts
It depends if it was for an injury or not. There's a guy by me that raises deer for 15 or so years and he's convinced that the does genetics have as much to do with it as the buck. This is what I've been told, and I have read some stuff that supports it.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
If it wasnt caused by an injury, chances are it will pass down its genetics, which could cause deformed antlers in its offspring. If your tryin to manage your herd i would harvest him.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Is the buck from the Baldwin area? If so, then it's a typical. :D

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
That genetic thing is just about impossible to control.

It's been proven with research that it can take as many as 13 years to remove a bad gene from a CAPTIVE herd. Meaning, if every buck with that poor genetic trate was removed from the entire herd, every year, with 100% success, it would take 13 years to remove that particular gene.

Basically, impossible to do in the wild. I remember James Kroll stated in a North American Whitetail article back in 1997 that whatever gene was present in the past 50 years in your area.....it's still there.

Enjoy the freak! He'll probably look great next year.;)

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
If it is an injury, then these traits will not be passed on. BTW, there has been much research that points toward the doe as having more influence on the antler potentail. Kinda hard to manage when you are killing them wholesale :)

Dan

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well not to worry, its hanging in our barn right now, my brother shot him on Wednesday morning.....

...its just that i told my roommates that he shot this....(they both hunt) and one says, "Why do you guys shoot them?" i told him obviously to get him out of the breeding herd....they thought i was crazy when i told them that antler genetics get passed on...

also, my brother is still a kid and getting any buck is awsome...

im a fairly good at proving my point and got the best of the argument, but for one....

one of them has only shot a half rack when he was 14 and the other shot a 3pt half rack 2 years ago and a beat up ugly 7 pt last year....so im not sure what they were trying to prove....

...just the fact that me and my bro are 90% better hunters than they are....oh well

I believe that antler genetics get passed on....

·
Registered
35,299 Posts
Deer begin to show their genetic potential at 3.5 years of age. It's a proven fact that they never be able to show it if they are harvested 2 years too early.

100% of the deer harvested at 1.5 years of age never get any bigger, just the stories do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts