Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see many on this site refer to "slobs", just what do you consider warrants the title "slob"?

I have very, very fond memories of my first years in the world of hunting, and those were the years that got this deer hunting thing flowing through my viens. When I look back on it, many of the attributes some associate with "slob" hunting were evident in the heros I looked up to at deer camp (father, uncles, cousins, friends). They drank their fair share of beer, put out bait piles, shot small bucks, smoked in their blind, sighted in rifles on the 14, etc. However, everyone had a good time, no one got hurt, and the world kept turning!

So what exactly defines these "slobs" everyone refers to, and why do they have no business sharing the woods with everyone else?
In my case, if it weren't for "slobs" I wouldn't be deer hunting today... but maybe that would be a good thing to some.:lol:

·
Banned
5,594 Posts
I'd say anyone purposely breaking the law is a slob.

People who just hunt without being educated used to be slobs in my book- but now I just don't care. If they are having fun doing it, more power to em and I truly wish them the best. However, I won't tolerate a person knowingly breaking the law- including baiting under the current regs. They are slobs.

·
Banned
1,990 Posts
I'd say anyone purposely breaking the law is a slob.

People who just hunt without being educated used to be slobs in my book- but now I just don't care. If they are having fun doing it, more power to em and I truly wish them the best. However, I won't tolerate a person knowingly breaking the law- including baiting under the current regs. They are slobs.
Oh thak God, I was afraid that you were going to say anybody that had the number 6 in their log-on.

·
Banned
5,594 Posts
Oh thak God, I was afraid that you were going to say anybody that had the number 6 in their log-on.
Nope. Not even close. As long as you refrain from baiting and keep fighting your fight, I've got nothing but respect for you. At least you are trying and not just scattering some corn on the ground and hoping no one sees. Like I said, I don't care how people hunt as long as it is within the law.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Well being relatively new on here, I've never called anyone names, but I would think the definition of a "slob" would be someone who doesn't show respect to the sport, its laws, their quarry, other human beings, or things that don't belong to them.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
A slob according to Chris(me)

1.Gets drunk while hunting

2.Kills game just for the thrill

3.Thief

4.Knowingly trespasses.

5.Litterbug

6.The guy who is not seeing deer so he shoots songbirds,squirrel,porcupine,etc,etc and lets them rot in the woods.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
They drank their fair share of beer, put out bait piles, shot small bucks, smoked in their blind, sighted in rifles on the 14, etc. However, everyone had a good time, no one got hurt, and the world kept turning!
Nothing you stated reaches the level of being a slob as long as the drinking was after the hunt, the baiting was legal at the time and the small bucks were properly tagged. I could care less if they smoked in their blinds. Not sure about the sighting in of rifles on the 14th, I'm sure I'd be annoyed if they did that near me but oh well.

·
Premium Member
34,130 Posts
Someone that doesn't shave, iron their hunting clothes, polish their boots, and brush their hair and teeth before entering the woods.

I have to get on my hunting buddies case over their lack of proper grooming at deer camp. They seem to think that looking like a bushman from the Yukon is acceptable. It is totally embarrassing going into town with them. Hell, they look like one of the locals when they get up north. And on top of that, they wont even splash on the Old Spice I went out of my way to buy them to cut down on the stink.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
I have to get on my hunting buddies case over their lack of proper grooming at deer camp. They seem to think that looking like a bushman from the Yukon is acceptable. It is totally embarrassing going into town with them. Hell, they look like one of the locals when they get up north. And on top of that, they wont even splash on the Old Spice I went out of my way to buy them to cut down on the stink.
I'm glad I got to read this post prior to leaving for my 11:30 manicure. :lol:

·
Premium Member
34,130 Posts
I see many on this site refer to "slobs", just what do you consider warrants the title "slob"?

I have very, very fond memories of my first years in the world of hunting, and those were the years that got this deer hunting thing flowing through my viens. When I look back on it, many of the attributes some associate with "slob" hunting were evident in the heros I looked up to at deer camp (father, uncles, cousins, friends). They drank their fair share of beer, put out bait piles, shot small bucks, smoked in their blind, sighted in rifles on the 14, etc. However, everyone had a good time, no one got hurt, and the world kept turning!

So what exactly defines these "slobs" everyone refers to, and why do they have no business sharing the woods with everyone else?
In my case, if it weren't for "slobs" I wouldn't be deer hunting today... but maybe that would be a good thing to some.:lol:
I started hunting with my friend's and their dads back in the late 60's and fishing before that. They had basic rules they followed. Buy your license, don't hunt if your drunk, only shoot if you can see what your shooting at, don't wear brown and white. The only baiting was a big bag of apples because they got that for free. They didn't bother to follow the letter of the law, just what they thought was reasonable. Deer camp was out in the boonies back then, now the area is starting to get a little too built up and there are more hunters in the area. That was then, now there's zero tolerance for most things. Increased enforcement of the rules and hunter safety classes had a lot to do with the change of attitudes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I started hunting with my friend's and their dads back in the late 60's and fishing before that. They had basic rules they followed. Buy your license, don't hunt if your drunk, only shoot if you can see what your shooting at, don't wear brown and white. The only baiting was a big bag of apples because they got that for free. They didn't bother to follow the letter of the law, just what they thought was reasonable. Deer camp was out in the boonies back then, now the area is starting to get a little too built up and there are more hunters in the area. That was then, now there's zero tolerance for most things. Increased enforcement of the rules and hunter safety classes had a lot to do with the change of attitudes.
Uh Oh!!

·
Premium Member
19,287 Posts

Are you sure your not misconstruing something here. The only place i see where the title slobs is used is in reference to those that bait where it is ilegal to. Drinking alchohol when hunting is being done.Tresspassing. placing litter on the ground and those sort of activities. I could be wrong but i havent seen where anyone has call any body a slob if it didnt fit.
Alot of folks are seeing this term "slob"and our misinterpreting what the author that said it ment

·
Premium Member
31,840 Posts
The only baiting was a big bag of apples because they got that for free.
You mean to tell me they had no desire to support the local Ma Kettle's snack and sack?!?!?!?:bloos:

I think Merriam-Webster does a nice job of defining "slob"

Definition of SLOB

: a slovenly or boorish person

: an ordinary person <just some poor slob>

Big T

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.