Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot at a buck tonight with a 300 weatherby. We looked ~300-400 yards and no blood or anything. However, there is a ton, and I mean a humans head worth of white hair. Roughly 2 inches long. He also had a tucked tail on the photo my camera got of him running. Thoughts? (The hair photo only includes a portion of the total hair)
Terrestrial animal Snow Deer Tail Natural landscape

Water Snow Freezing Liquid Twig

· Registered
23,403 Posts
Shot at a buck tonight with a 300 weatherby. We looked ~300-400 yards and no blood or anything. However, there is a ton, and I mean a humans head worth of white hair. Roughly 2 inches long. He also had a tucked tail on the photo my camera got of him running. Thoughts? (The hair photo only includes a portion of the total hair) View attachment 867040
View attachment 867041
Tracking is all that's left. Vs. gutting.

Had you started out immediately at a fast trot you might have caught up with him within five miles. Maybe found a bed to check for any blood. Meanwhile he's still making tracks.

Where did you hit him?
That's my first question. And your answer to my thoughts. Call it.

You either shaved the back of which pair of legs high , belly ,or tail.
I'll go with back of legs. (But do agree it's long enough looking hair to be tail). But you're the one that was aiming and knows your rifle and your ability combined with the deer's position at the shot. Right?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tracking is all that's left. Vs. gutting.

Had you started out immediately at a fast trot you might have caught up with him within five miles. Maybe found a bed to check for any blood. Meanwhile he's still making tracks.

Where did you hit him?
That's my first question. And your answer to my thoughts. Call it.

You either shaved the back of which pair of legs high , belly ,or tail.
I'll go with back of legs. (But do agree it's long enough looking hair to be tail). But you're the one that was aiming and knows your rifle and your ability combined with the deer's position at the shot. Right?
The shot felt amazing, I was very steady and he was still and broadside. If I could imagine a perfect shot that is it….

· Premium Member
4,540 Posts
how far was the shot? You followed the tracks 300 yards and no blood? Id say belly shot, maybe holes got plugged wuth guts and no blood because of that? If you could follow 300 yards are you able to go back in the morning and go further hoping that snow sticks around? If snow isnt staying I would use it now and look as far as you can. Tracks in the snow should be easy enough to follow hopefully you stumble across him.

· Registered
23,403 Posts
The shot felt amazing, I was very steady and he was still and broadside. If I could imagine a perfect shot that is it….
Try low under where you expected to put your bullet.
Then compare hair found to low (below your anticipated entry spot) area on another dead deer. Or deer hair rug.
If it's not a match , go on to IF you pulled the shot where did the bullet go. Right? Up? Off a rest with only front of stock touching (never the barrel) , off hand? What is the most common deviation during your practice shooting?

Creasing below the chest has on rare occasion killed. More often it results in a jump and take off and goodbye deer.
Cutting the hair off the back of front legs might inspire a jump.
What did your deer do?

· Registered
5,190 Posts
How's the accuracy of that rifle today? The Weatherbys I have shot were finicky for action screw torque. Especially those with the thin barrel contours and barrels that are not free floated. If you sighted the rifle in, removed the stock and reassembled without tightening the action screws to the same torque, your zero could be off by a foot. Not kidding.

· Registered
14,284 Posts
No red of any kind in the white snow? You gave it a hair cut. Water under the bridge. Check your scope and try again.

· Registered
14,284 Posts
Or he's not even looking in the right spot.
If he found hair where he thinks it was standing I'm betting he's looking in the right spot. Would be a wild coincidence to find hair like that where the deer was standing and have it be from two other bucks fighting.

49,352 Posts
If he found hair where he thinks it was standing I'm betting he's looking in the right spot. Would be a wild coincidence to find hair like that where the deer was standing and have it be from two other bucks fighting.
I agree it would be a coincidence, IF that's where the deer was standing. I've seen some pretty big wads of hair though. Some from fighting and some probably from coyote getting a mouthful or from a nearby carcass..

Either way, any blood would be incredibly obvious in snow.

· Registered
14,284 Posts
I agree it would be a coincidence, IF that's where the deer was standing. I've seen some pretty big wads of hair though. Some from fighting and some probably from coyote getting a mouthful or from a nearby carcass..

Either way, any blood would be incredibly obvious in snow.
That's my point as well. I have had the hole get plugged on a deer like sharkbait suggested but there was blood at the impact site and for about 10 yards before it stopped. I found the buck about 50 yards further with no blood in-between. And there was no snow for this one otherwise I bet I would have found more blood.
A gun hit has a more explosive shot site than bow leaving more blood, hair, etc even on marginal hits. I've had consistently better blood trails with bow though. Maybe that's just because most of my kills are with bow but broadheads (in general) leave a bigger entrance and exit and from an elevated position leave the exit hole low and the blood drains better.

49,352 Posts
That's my point as well. I have had the hole get plugged on a deer like sharkbait suggested but there was blood at the impact site and for about 10 yards before it stopped. I found the buck about 50 yards further with no blood in-between. And there was no snow for this one otherwise I bet I would have found more blood.
A gun hit has a more explosive shot site than bow leaving more blood, hair, etc even on marginal hits. I've had consistently better blood trails with bow though. Maybe that's just because most of my kills are with bow but broadheads (in general) leave a bigger entrance and exit and from an elevated position leave the exit hole low and the blood drains better.
Yeah I agree. Only time I had an issue with blood with a gun is using a 243. Otherwise, blood was there but if not easily found, backtracking from the deer to the impact sight showed just how far from where the deer actually was I was looking for first blood.

· Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
2,541 Posts
how far was the shot? You followed the tracks 300 yards and no blood? Id say belly shot, maybe holes got plugged wuth guts and no blood because of that? If you could follow 300 yards are you able to go back in the morning and go further hoping that snow sticks around? If snow isnt staying I would use it now and look as far as you can. Tracks in the snow should be easy enough to follow hopefully you stumble across him.
Still should have shown abit of blood at impact site, especially in snow

· Registered
14,043 Posts
Yeah I agree. Only time I had an issue with blood with a gun is using a 243. Otherwise, blood was there but if not easily found, backtracking from the deer to the impact sight showed just how far from where the deer actually was I was looking for first blood.
Watch it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts