Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to think about the Gypsy Moth stripping the oak trees and the lack of acorns to feed the deer in the fall. Are we going to have a large deer kill-off this winter? Ant thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I'm curious on what the acorn crop will be this fall also, last year the tree's looked pretty rough in spots 30 -50% leaf loss on some tree's imo. Acorns were very abundant on my reds tho. This year the gypsys are crazy in my yard at least, need to slow down while checking cams and look a little closer while out in the forest that holds oaks.

I'm more concerned with the acorn's not helping the deer in winter especially if it's a bad one.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Last year the moths hit my property hard. The acorn crop was nonexistent, about 70% are white oaks. But the lack of nuts could have been a result of cold and heavy rains when the buds were developing.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
They told us CWD would do them in but that hasn't happened.

EHD will get them before the hard winter does.

If there are any deer left come Oct 1st, take your camera to the woods because the DNR has issued a pre-emptive statement closing the season.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I started to think about the Gypsy Moth stripping the oak trees and the lack of acorns to feed the deer in the fall. Are we going to have a large deer kill-off this winter? Ant thoughts on this?
The area we hunt got tore up by the gypsy moths pretty bad last year. Living in South Carolina, I was concerned that when I made it up to Michigan to do some scouting in September I was going to find a vast waste land. The leaves were chewed up pretty bad but after about 30 minutes my mind was put at ease when I began glassing the tops of the oaks and found probably the 2nd best acorn crop i've seen in that area in 20 years or more. Acorns were extremely plentiful and BIG!
Now with that being said, I don't expect to find much of an acorn crop this year but thats because i've never seen two consecutive years with bumper acorn crops.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I remember being told to beat a non producing apple tree with a chain...and it works. I would think oaks would react the same.....I am going to die, better start production.

I am not certain if they react the same....but they might ?? Deer live on more than just accorns. But a reduction in food will cause problems.

I would ask those out east where they have been hit hard years ago. They might give you insight. ???

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I was actually wondering if I might get a lot of new growth from the opening of the crowns the caterpillars have caused. Not a lot of shade due to the damage and now a lot of rain.

Just trying to look for an upside. :)
This. Our place was hit hard the last 2 years, but not this year due to township spraying last year. The amount of 2-3 foot trees, and browse in our woods this year from lack pf canopy the last couple is unreal. Way more food than the acorns would have produced.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
T
This. Our place was hit hard the last 2 years, but not this year due to township spraying last year. The amount of 2-3 foot trees, and browse in our woods this year from lack pf canopy the last couple is unreal. Way more food than the acorns would have produced.
Try to be proactive in cutting down on their numbers by scraping the eggs into soapy water. Spray egg masses with horticulture oil to smother.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Deer should adapt and find another food source. Definitely doesn't help though. Probably be tougher on local squirrel population as they don't travel as far and rely on this resource all winter long.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
They told us CWD would do them in but that hasn't happened.

EHD will get them before the hard winter does.

If there are any deer left come Oct 1st, take your camera to the woods because the DNR has issued a pre-emptive statement closing the season.
EHD shouldn't be a major issue this year with all the rain most of the state received after I posted above. We were on track, had the lack of rain continued, to see a large EHD die off. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Where I hunt we have some random oaks but not enough to really concentrate deer or sustain their diet for anything more than a quickie.

Our deer aren't all dead without akerns.

·
Administrator
17,826 Posts
The area we hunt got tore up by the gypsy moths pretty bad last year. Living in South Carolina, I was concerned that when I made it up to Michigan to do some scouting in September I was going to find a vast waste land. The leaves were chewed up pretty bad but after about 30 minutes my mind was put at ease when I began glassing the tops of the oaks and found probably the 2nd best acorn crop i've seen in that area in 20 years or more. Acorns were extremely plentiful and BIG!
Now with that being said, I don't expect to find much of an acorn crop this year but thats because i've never seen two consecutive years with bumper acorn crops.
I'm not far from you in the NeLP. Last year's crop was good on my property.
This years, even BETTER!
Surely deer won't starve due to lack of acorns in an area. Can almost guarantee; deer patterns will vary based on available acorns though.
<----<<<

Reactions: bucknasty11208

·
Registered
589 Posts
I noticed this past weekend that Some of the trees in Roscommon county lacking leaves from the gypsy moths are loaded with acorns.
Good thing about deer is they eat about 200 different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I noticed this past weekend that Some of the trees in Roscommon county lacking leaves from the gypsy moths are loaded with acorns.
Good thing about deer is they eat about 200 different things.

That was our experience last year. Trees were chewed up good but they were absolutely loaded. 2nd best crop I’d seen in probably 20 years.
This year not chewed up as bad but not a lot of acorns either. Some trees are completely barren while others have a few. I did find a few trees here and there that are loaded pretty good. I think I know where I’ll be hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
We’ve had gypsy moths bad in 2019-2020 and we had 0 acorns those years when normally it would be like walking on marbles over a good 35 acre oak ridge. This year we had moths starting to eat leaves but they were sprayed in June killing the caterpillars which saved a lot of the leaves on the oaks. I still have not seen an acorn this year and noticed several big oak trees have died off. We still have the same amount of deer, but I will say hunting in October before the rut is not great on our property when we have no acorns. I really hope we start to get an acorn crop next year!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
We’ve had gypsy moths bad in 2019-2020 and we had 0 acorns those years when normally it would be like walking on marbles over a good 35 acre oak ridge. This year we had moths starting to eat leaves but they were sprayed in June killing the caterpillars which saved a lot of the leaves on the oaks. I still have not seen an acorn this year and noticed several big oak trees have died off. We still have the same amount of deer, but I will say hunting in October before the rut is not great on our property when we have no acorns. I really hope we start to get an acorn crop next year!

This fits exactly with my experience over the last few years. Are you near Atlanta?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
This fits exactly with my experience over the last few years. Are you near Atlanta?
No, our property is in Arenac county near Twining. My uncle owns a cabin in Atlanta though and we were just up there in July! My grandpa used to own hunting land and a cabin up there also but it was sold off when my grandparents passed away back around 2000 or so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts