Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the concept of population reduction to remove a disease from the general pop. Has anyone else ever considered this. Lets say that 10 dear out of 10,000 are infected. Now out of the 10,000 we kill 80% so ther goes 8000 deer leave 2000. Now who is to say we killed 80% of the infected deer. It could be possible thta we killed none of them, and now we would have a greater ratio of infected dear to healthy especially considering some previously healthy deer have become infected. I am basically wondering without completely wiping the slate clean how can we guarantee the removal of the disease and how do we guarantee wiping out all the deer.
I personally love what the slaughter has done in the TB zone, We uses to see 20 does and maybee 2 spikes. Acording to trail cams over the past 2 seasons our area has almost a 50/50 buck to doe ratio. Last year I saw 3 bucks -spike, 6pt and 9pt., 5 does and a button spike during 5 days of hunting. Numbers are down but quality is up. Not good for the meat hunter but fine by me.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
The point of depopulation is not to try and remove the infected deer from the population but to create deer densities that are less conducive to deer congregating in concentrated groups, which is what facilitates the transmission of the disease. If the infected ones happen to be among those culled, it's a bonus. ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone know what the did out west about cwd. There was alot of talk about it a few years back.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Does anyone know what the did out west about cwd. There was alot of talk about it a few years back.
Yes, they stopped culling since it didn't show much promise. Since the prions that are shed in the soil remain, even killing off all the deer won't do much when new deer are introduced to the area. There are plenty of reasons to reduce deer populations to safe goals but killing deer does not kill the environmental reservoir that remains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts