Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The deer numbers really seem to be picking up, I saw plenty of deer and turkey on the road and on my property. They were out at all times of the day throughout the weekend. I really believe that the cuttings and the food plotting are beginning to make the difference. We should encourage our neighbors to cut as much as possible, I am having another 10 acres cut next winter. I would like to get to the point where we need to start shooting does to bring deer numbers down instead of passing them up because there are not enough deer. After four deerless seasons my trigger finger is getting mighty itchy.

Steve
116A

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Tami and I are planning to go up tomorrow for a few days. I'll check the animal activity and post the results when I get back.

Mike H.
119A

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Tami and I just got back today, Thursday, March 29. The road was OK until we got about 1.8 miles in from the front gate. Then, it became very soft and muddy for about 3/4 of a mile. There were other soft spots scattered along the road. If there was any considerable rain, I think the road would be impassable. We went through the back gate, but were unable to reach Alpena State Road due to mud and deep water - - it would have been a 7 mile walk if we got stuck. Unfortunately, someone propped up a log by the back gate that had to be moved to access the lock and the log had rusty nail heads on the bottom side, which cut Tami's hand as she moved it. Hopefully, no infection will occur. Whoever placed that log there had no one's safety in mind - - not very bright.

As far as deer sightings, we saw a few about 2 miles in from the main gate. As we were passing Ray's place, I looked over and saw what looked like a huge deer staring at me about fifty yards inside his gate. We sat there about five minutes and when it didn't move, we decided that it was a fake deer, but it bothered me all night that it looked so real and also the position of the deer was odd. The next day we went back and that fake deer was gone. So, Ray has a huge deer roaming around his backyard !!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was up last Saturday and the road was pretty rough. Deep ruts all along lot 97. We were sinking to the frost line in 4x4. With some rain and the frost going out this could easily become impassable. Some of the spots that were repaired last year were showing signs of heavy traffic as well. Mulligan creek between Partridge Lane and the Upper Green Creek road was very rough. Parts of the Upper Green Creek road were too deeply rutted and wet for me to try.
I did see deer crossing the road near the front gate.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I am curious?
I have not been up at all. does it seem like logging operations have been going on and possibly hurting the roads ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ray,

The road was soft in spots but I don't believe that it was damage from loggers and did not see any logging activity that weekend. I personally believe that stone needs to be added to those areas but am no expert on the subject. When I pulled in on Friday morning the road had a soft surface
(appeared to be about 1 inch as everything under that seemed frozen) in those areas mentioned. As the weekend went on and warmed up the road got a little worse as expected. I only traveled from the front gate to my drive and did not see the rest of the road. As I said, I am no authority on the anatomy of a road or the long term affects of logging. If we can squeeze the loggers to pay for some of it good for us. I think that if we all use reputable loggers with a good road repair track record and chip in the $200.00 per land owner for normal usage repairs we should have a good solid road. Can someone comment on the road / roads west, north and south of my drive way?

Steve
116A

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Tami and I went up this past Friday and came home Sunday. Saturday night as we were driving down Mulligan Creek Road and came to, I believe, Parcel 121 (red gate, solar lights outside of front gate), we looked over and saw a huge deer about 30 yards inside the gate. We watched it for about 20 minutes and as soon as we continued on, about 40 yards ahead of us was another one crossing the road. Obviously, there's something there that the deer like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts