Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
I keep an eye when ever I am out rabbit hunting this time of year but I head out just for sheds in March when we get a good thaw.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find the majority of my sheds around March. Like HUBBHUNTER said, keep your eyes pealed while bunny hunting as well. Some deer will begin shedding their antlers as early as December and as late at March, with the majority falling sometime in between. I like the head out on a warm, sunny day during the first major thaw of the year. The antlers are easier to spot when there's no longer a white background camouflaging them in. They tend to stand out much easier that way. Good luck hunting and trust me, you'll be hooked as soon as you find your first one!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
On december 30th my last night hunt of the bow season this year I got up in my climber on some state land in newaygo county and as I set up I looked down and seen a beautiful shed 5 yards from the tree I was in. Of course this was during our warm up so snow was melting fast in that 2 days. Took the shed back to camp and the guys measured it at just under 50" not bad if the other side was the same and had a 14" spread. I would be happy with a 115" northern michigan state land buck. I'm going look hard for the other side once the snow is gone. Make a sweet set of rattling antlers for my iowa bowhunt next fall
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
I (we) have gone twice so far and put in about 10 miles worth of boot leather but no sheds found yet.

It's a bit early now in terms of your best odd's but there are bucks out there that have dropped already so if you wanna go for a hike than head on out.

Focus on trails between bedding and any well used food source. Food is a magnet right now so if you have a hot food source start there. Deer will tend to bed on south and west facing slopes this time of year (to soak up the suns warmth) so check those area's as well.

Good luck and post pic's!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I don't remember a year where I've seen this many bucks that've dropped their antlers already. Lots of pictures on the camera's already. Earliest I saw was dec. 23rd, nice buck with good bases already kicked his to the curb.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Someone told me years ago that for every shed you find you'll out in 10 miles of walking. Seems about right as I've come to find out. Put in the miles and you should stumble upon them. I found a hot spot for sheds 2 years ago, its a grown up pine forest that's created a fortress for the deer when bad winter weather rolls in. I can usually exect to find at least one shed each spring I go in there.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
30,795 Posts
On december 30th my last night hunt of the bow season this year I got up in my climber on some state land in newaygo county and as I set up I looked down and seen a beautiful shed 5 yards from the tree I was in. Of course this was during our warm up so snow was melting fast in that 2 days. Took the shed back to camp and the guys measured it at just under 50" not bad if the other side was the same and had a 14" spread. I would be happy with a 115" northern michigan state land buck. I'm going look hard for the other side once the snow is gone. Make a sweet set of rattling antlers for my iowa bowhunt next fall
Posted via Mobile Device
Congrats on the find!:)
A suggestion if I may?
If you're going to Iowa to hunt whitetails I assume you're going for BIG boned bucks. If so, I would suggest getting a set of big boned sheds for rattlers. These are readily available on ebay fairly cheap if your patient, heck, you don't have to have a matched set, just make sure they're heavy. The difference in tone between small and large bucks is night and day. If you've ever heard (2) 140"+ bucks get it on you'll know what I'm talking about.;)

Big T

·
Premium Member
30,795 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts