Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the Eve of Deer Season of the firearm opener. For the 8th year in a row now, I am unable to join my Dad and Brother in Da UP to hunt big bucks. The smell of bacon and wood smoke is a fond memory. The crackle of cedar kindling in the wood stove being the first thing I hear in the morning I long to hear.

Late Friday evening the 12th I received a dreaded phone call. My 78 year old Mom was having chest pains and was on her way to the hospital. I didn't sleep much and working my shift on Saturday the 13th was tough. By mid day I had received a call that Mom was in the ICU and doing fine. She had a blocked artery and received a stint.

After work I finally was able to talk to my Dad on the phone. His version of the previous evening completed the picture. They were watching the NMU VS. Michigan Tech hockey game. As the game wore on my Mom complained of not feeling well and reached a point they couldn't finish watching the game and headed to the local small hospital.

Yup, she was having a heart attack. They gave her nitroglycerin and put her in an ambulance headed for Marquette. The driver told my Dad they would probably pass him on the way. Nope. Dad waited in the parking lot for close to 10 minutes before the ambulance arrived. Hey Dad, weren't the roads kinda slushy that night?

God Bless My Mom. By 6 pm Saturday evening she told my Dad she's fine. Go Deer Hunting. My Niece and my Sister will take care of her while he is out hunting. She told him to stay out hunting until he gets his buck. So yes, my Dad is on the road now heading to Gogebic County to hunt for that 10 pointer my Brother has on his trail cam by Dad's blind.

Michigan Deer Season is serious business. My wife an Idaho native has a hard time comprehending the fact that Mom just had a heart attack and my Dad is going hunting. I explained it as best I could and she says she understands. Sort of.

My Dad is 83 years young and hasn't missed opening day of deer season since 1966. I miss you Dad. I hope he has a couple more seasons left in him and I won't miss out on his last one.

G'luck Dad. Catch a big one!

StumpHunter

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Hope your mom has a speedy recovery. I also hope your dad and everyone at camp have a great season and will be safe. I hope you get an opportunity to get out this season. It may not be in the UP or at camp but it should bring you close to your dad even though many miles will between each of you. The reason I say this even if you were up there he would be in his stand and you in yours. For some reason it always made me feel close. Even now years after my dad has passed.

Again best wishes for your mom's speedy recovery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Best wishes to your mom and good luck to your pops. What’s been stopping you for 8 years? Priorities are priorities but don’t set yourself up for lifelong regret. GET THERE !
Thanks. Mom is doing well. Last night was the first night of decent sleep in a few days.

Kind of a condtradiction for myself, not having been deer hunting in the UP for 8 years and Deer Season being serious business. In a nutshell; complicated life stuff. And no, I wasn't in jail. :giggle:

As I sent my kids off to school this a.m. I gave them a play by play as to what Grandpa was likely doing at that very moment.

Probably the main motivator for my Mom telling my Dad to go to deer camp was it will be his last year at that camp. A deer camp 2 Uncles (Mom's brothers) owned that was on leased land. The Uncles have passed on and a cousin from one of the Uncle's informed my brother and Dad 3 weeks ago that they are not welcome back next year. It is the 32nd deer season for my Dad at that camp as a guest. The cousins apparently have an extreme dislike for my brother and want him out, now that the last Uncle is buried. Family get togethers in the future are sure to be awkward...

I believe the forecasted wind direction for the western UP this a.m. was out of the West. Which is excellent for my Dad's hunting spot. Bucks typically arrive on a long established trail from the North.

Good Luck to all!

StumpHunter

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The big buck and my Dad did not cross paths. But my Dad filled his tag. Mom's just happy there is venison in the freezer once again. Which is fairly consistent for my Dad. I hope to be hunting at 83 too!

I've enjoyed the many posts and topics about Whitetail hunting in my beloved homeland this season. Vicarious is the word I believe. Thanks to all on here for that!!

I've looked at many real estate ads over the last few weeks. A spot in the UP I was dreaming about. Due to family dynamics and distance it is but a dream. But dream until dreams come true I shall do. One day I shall find that perfect stump to sit upon and shoot a nice big Yooper buck!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Snow Hunting Vertebrate Smile Plant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts