Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you keep your deer scents? Will they last for over a year or should you just buy new every season?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I use HAWGS synthetic scents so I don`t have to be concerned with them going bad. I would think that most natural scents would break down after a while.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
FWIW A couple times I've tried saving urine from deer I've taken so that I could use it the next season. I put the pee into 35mm film canisters and stuck them in the freezer. One year I even saved the tarsal glands from a buck, wrapped them in plastic and stuck them in the freezer. After taking the pee out of the freezer it seemed to me that it smelled more like the freezer than anything else. Maybe it should have been stored in glass. Maybe it just doesn't last a year. Pretty much the same with the tarsal glands, although I could still smell some of the musky odor. I don't think a whitetail would have been fooled at all. I've read many times that the 'shelf life' of natural scents is not very long and that they're best used when they're fresh. Makes sense to me. Synthetics seem to be a different story.

Gosh, I just don't know what to think about scents. In years past I used them quite a bit. There was only one time, maybe two when I am certain they had a positive effect. Other guys swear by scents so I assume I was screwin' things up. Calling, on the other hand, has gotten better results, especially fawn bleats in early bow season. Great fun!

Don't you wish you could hunt every day during the season so you could experiment with different things? Hunting time is so precious, for me anyway, that I stick to the tried and true. Sometimes though, after filling the freezer, I'll experiement. I've heard that ammonia can attract deer so on a couple occasions I soaked a couple rags in it and hung them on either side of my stand. Same thing with vanilla, imitating Dan Fitzgerald's 'vanilla killa' scent. I've experimented with super aggressive rattling and other things I'm too embarassed to mention! No deer, but a heck of a lot of fun. I wouldn't be surprised if my antics have scared away a lot of deer, and probably amused others!

Good luck,
John E.
Ypsi

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
most natural scents(deer urine) break down almost at once. fresh is fresh and may last a day from the fridge or freezer! hawgs is one of the best i have ever used!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I use Hawgs too and it works well if you follow the instructions and you use it in the right place. I'd be more leery about using urine based products that were left over from the previous season.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Wait untill you guys see what come out in a few months! it is going to set the industry on fire and i have seen this prouduct from day 1 drawing board to its testing and oh boy!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have never had sucsess using scents. They seem to scare more deer off that attrack.

That has been my experience anyway.

I would love to see a scent that works in my neighborhood.

All the scents that I have ever bought, I through out at the end of the season.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Lower buck to doe ratios= higher success with scents, from my experience anyway

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Bow_hunter, have you ever tried Trails End #307? I've actually had a mature buck touch his nose to the scent wick. On that hunt, I had 2 Pope and Young bucks come into the Trails End scent at the same time. It can be used all season long as an attractant. It was the first week of November when the previously mentioned bucks came to the scent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts