Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are any lures/scents that attract does. Since the market is set on big bucks concerning lures/scents, isn't there something for does too??? Not all of us hunt bucks.
I personally have a deer call that sounds like a wounded fawn or distress fawn, a loud high pitched squeeky noise that sounds like bloody murder. I've used this several times in the early bow season and have does come running in like the dam broke. Actually one time I was up in my tree stand and my hunting buddy was in the ground blind, 40yrds away when I used this call. The two does came flying in and almost run over his ground blind!!!

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
CMR - My guess is, regardless of whether commercial scents attract does or not, manufacturers tend not to advertise it. They likely assume that the bulk of the scent-in-a-bottle market is interested in their product for buck hunting, and that's how they promote their products.

I've dabbled with commercial scents over the years, and I'm generally skeptical about them. A deer's sense of smell is so dramatically powerful and different compared to our own, that we humans can only guess how these bottled scent products that we create are actually perceived by them. I've witnessed enough negative reactions by deer to commercial scents (ESPECIALLY from adult does) that have led me to conclude that they are risky to use.

I happen to be a serious doe hunter, and I am curious about your fawn distress call. Who makes it, and what is it called?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe its made by Primos. Gotta check it at home after work tonight. Anywho, you blow into it like you're blowing up a balloon. It screams bloody murder.....almost sounds like a rabbit distress call.
It would interesting to see what happens when you're out scouting and come across a herd of does and give it a try.......

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I would think that any food attractant scent would attract does. I do belive in the "no-scent" tactict. Just go where the deer go. The fawn in distress call works great for calling in does. CMR is right, they come running in like a banshie.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I use straight doe urine without the estres (sp) comes frozen. Will pm you brand if you want.
Works great, more of a comfort for the deer and they are curious of other does in the area.

Works for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts