Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On those really cold days and your out hunting in a blind do you ever feel like a deer is going to spot you because of seeing your breath? I know it would seem alarming if I were a deer and saw a big white puff coming out of a blind, or tree. I do believe I have been busted before by deer seeing my breath. Other times it seems like they don't notice, and even other times they seem to just look at me for a minute, and then go about their business.
How do you guys feel? do they care, notice, or just don't know what it is?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have had deer spook from seeing my breath. I try to breath through my nose slowly and straight toward my jacket when I have deer close to me. It doesn't make a ton of difference but it helps. It also calms my nerves if I have a nice buck close by.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure that they can see that well. That would mean differentiating between colors and contrast, something that may or may not be possible for deer. Sometimes I think that they sense that something just isn't right - like if you went into your house or garage at night and thought someone else might be there...you know the feeling - something isn't right, so as a deer it's just easier to leave. Also, depending on your breath and wind directions - they could have smelled you. In a woods, I have noticed that winds circulate much more in all directions versus an open field or fencerow. For some it's like duh - thanks Mr. Obvious, but I prefer a little bit of wind while hunting, just to be sure that my scent is being carried away and not lingering. Most times that I have had deer spook because of a situation like the "this just doesn't seem right" one that I described, I have been in woods, both in a tree or on the ground.

JL

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Don't dress so warm. Let your body cool down closer to teh outside temp so the vapor will not be seen. This way way they can't see won't spook them ;) :lol:

I had a deer spook from my shoulder poping while drawing the bow back. My dad had one spook when his belly grumbled.

Skinner 2

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I've had that happen! lol Another thing i've had happen too when its cold and still. Your breath will linger and the deer will avoid you!

I wear a loose head unit, so when i breath out my mouth it don't put the vapor in the air to see. I might get a little leak out now and then, but nothing that will spook the deer.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,385 Posts
Skinner 2 said:
I had a deer spook from my shoulder poping while drawing the bow back. My dad had one spook when his belly grumbled.
That is the essence of December bowhunting - the woods is so unbelievably quiet. If I see a shooter coming into one of my lanes I try to pull back as much in advance as possible. It also makes holding your bow a necessity, and that can suck the warmth out of your hands if you don't address it somehow. It's a real challenge and probably why it appeals to many of us.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I've definitely had deer spook from seeing my breath. No more though. I always wear a head net while hunting and breath through that. I use the Scent-Lok head net, either the green one or the new anti-fog. If it gets really cold, I use another Scent-Lok head net that is made from Strom cloth and it works very good if I can keep the glasses from fogging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts