Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
The 80's 90's in the western UP where we hunt was awesome. Plenty of deer and major deer camps everywhere. Buck poles were sagging. Everyone had a blast. Of course we were all younger then and we covered miles of woods in the hill country everyday. I would love to go back to those days and even back to the 60's 70's. Big woods and big bucks.
Bucks as BIG as Buicks!!! And lots of them!

It was they Heyday of Michigan Deer Hunting as far as I'm concerned. Real Deer Camps were everywhere, and no cell phones. When you went to camp you didn't hear from home, unless you went to the bar and stood in line to use the "payphone" that you had to pay with change from your pocket. Today's young'uns probably never used one. LOL. And the bars...every bar was standing room only for the first week of Deer Camp.

It was like dying and going to Deer Hunter's Heaven. God I miss those days!

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I never used bait . My preferred methods were\are still hunting,tracking or just pull up a stump.
I've hunted over bait. But I found out it was way more fun, and challenging, to still hunt. I've shot deer over bait, but I've shot most of my best bucks while sneaking through the woods with no bait around. Now that is fun hunting to me.

·
Registered
19,917 Posts
Bucks as BIG as Buicks!!! And lots of them!

It was they Heyday of Michigan Deer Hunting as far as I'm concerned. Real Deer Camps were everywhere, and no cell phones. When you went to camp you didn't hear from home, unless you went to the bar and stood in line to use the "payphone" that you had to pay with change from your pocket. Today's young'uns probably never used one. LOL. And the bars...every bar was standing room only for the first week of Deer Camp.

It was like dying and going to Deer Hunter's Heaven. God I miss those days!
The best years ever! Deer hunting mania. I miss it too.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It was awesome in the mid to late 80's. We were shooting bows with plunger button and flipper arrow rests we had to modify to be quiet when drawing back aluminum arrows which were noisy as hell. We would wrap a band aid on the flipper rest to silence the arrow when drawn (no mechanical releases just finger gloves or bare fingers) We also had sight pins we had to paint white or glow in the dark just so you could see them. I usually had a quiver with 4 or 5 different arrows some with the old Bear Razorhead broadheads and some with the 3 bladed Wasp broadheads. I never really wore camo back then but did use a burnt cork for face paint. Also I would wear my old work boots hunting and we had no cell phones so when we didn't show up back at the house within a hour after dark everyone knew one of use hit one. Funny thing is we always shot deer year after year back then. (We used some wicked dangerous climbing tree stands back then) Some of my best memories bowhunting were crawling through the woods at 2:00 am looking for specs of blood with a flickering Kmart flashlight. It's just not the same nowadays I still hunt but back then it was a lot more fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
1988 - Floating a river during muzzle loader season with T/C Hawken rifles with patched round balls. It was 18 below zero…..what were we thinking!!

Tree Hat Automotive tire Tints and shades Art

Tree Bark camo and black and red plaid Filson Wool. Gortex Thinsulate had just recently hit the market.

Headgear Art Picture frame Freezing Window

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
1988 - Floating a river during muzzle loader season with T/C Hawken rifles with patched round balls. It was 18 below zero…..what were we thinking!!

View attachment 792106

Tree Bark camo and black and red plaid Filson Wool. Gortex Thinsulate had just recently hit the market.

View attachment 792107
Thats called great memories right there. Something special about float hunting in the bigwoods ,late season using a muzzleloader.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
Here a link to a study on UP deer movement. They are not home bodies like down below.

Season closes eventually too. Absolutely ruins my hunting.

What's your point in migrating deer? You can't hunt them prior to or during migration because they do so in places?

Look , the U.P. has 600 million plus acres you can hunt.
And season has been open for weeks.

In the time it takes you to complain about your hunting being so much more challenging than anywhere else on earth , you could have arrowed a deer.
How many hours have you put in this year trying to kill an eventually destined for migrating deer? Or any deer? Or are you waiting till they are done migrating first , to then bemoan the fact deer hunting sucks for you when you don't own land where any deer are and you have to hunt elsewhere?

Deer benefit from your land. Take one when it's there , or follow it when it leaves. Hunt elsewhere where you don't own the land to kill one , like usual.
If the U.P. is too tough for you , move South. Or South West. Far as you want till you find homebody deer.
Heck , even Florida has deer. It'll come as a shock I'm sure , but snow does not force them to migrate there.
Homebody target or not , it's still hunting .

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
Wow! Looks dangerous, and adventurous to me...I like it!

Back in the day when you were required to were a license plate sized hunting tag on your back. LOL.
It was both dangerous and adventurous Griz. Long story short, the deer got up and took off by the time we beached the canoe. My buddy broke his ramrod off in the barrel while hastily reloading. My Hawken was loaded but I had forgotten my ramrod so we had no way of reloading. My buddy did see the deer once or twice while tracking but not good enough four a decent “last shot” at it. The deer finally crossed the river on us so we had to backtrack 2 miles to get the canoe so we could get across the river. It got dark on us and we had to give up the track.

We knew it would be too dangerous to try to canoe out in the dark with who knows how many sweepers across the river so we elected to walk out the 5 1/2 miles to where we had spotted my buddies truck and then go back in the dark to pick up the canoe and then go a few miles upstream to pick up my truck. We borrowed another ramrod, shot out the broken one, cleaned both rifles and reloaded in the morning and then started all over again….spotted his truck…went way upstream where we could launch the canoe….floated down to where we had left the track the night before and got on the track again. We thought for sure the deer would be dead in his bed in the morning because it was 18 below zero again that night. We were surprised to find him still alive in his bed but he was unable to get up so Art finished him off. We found that the buck had been shot through the knee by somebody else apparently during the regular firearms season. What a tough and determined animal!!

Elaine and I were not married yet and although she had been bow hunting with me for a couple years, this was her first rifle hunt…and she was only along for the ride. I knew what she was made of after that hunt as she hung in there as well as we did.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
It was both dangerous and adventurous Griz. Long story short, the deer got up and took off by the time we beached the canoe. My buddy broke his ramrod off in the barrel while hastily reloading. My Hawken was loaded but I had forgotten my ramrod so we had no way of reloading. My buddy did see the deer once or twice while tracking but not good enough four a decent “last shot” at it. The deer finally crossed the river on us so we had to backtrack 2 miles to get the canoe so we could get across the river. It got dark on us and we had to give up the track.

We knew it would be too dangerous to try to canoe out in the dark with who knows how many sweepers across the river so we elected to walk out the 5 1/2 miles to where we had spotted my buddies truck and then go back in the dark to pick up the canoe and then go a few miles upstream to pick up my truck. We borrowed another ramrod, shot out the broken one, cleaned both rifles and reloaded in the morning and then started all over again….spotted his truck…went way upstream where we could launch the canoe….floated down to where we had left the track the night before and got on the track again. We thought for sure the deer would be dead in his bed in the morning because it was 18 below zero again that night. We were surprised to find him still alive in his bed but he was unable to get up so Art finished him off. We found that the buck had been shot through the knee by somebody else apparently during the regular firearms season. What a tough and determined animal!!

Elaine and I were not married yet and although she had been bow hunting with me for a couple years, this was her first rifle hunt…and she was only along for the ride. I knew what she was made of after that hunt as she hung in there as well as we did.
see memories lol.

·
Registered
11,795 Posts

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Migration is temporary. Deer migrate from and return to the same home range. They may not know whether home is public of private but they sure as hell know where it is.
I recently pulled some trailcam cards (set to video mode) from the UP. It is very different then the SLP.

·
Registered
37,011 Posts
Season closes eventually too. Absolutely ruins my hunting.

What's your point in migrating deer? You can't hunt them prior to or during migration because they do so in places?

Look , the U.P. has 600 million plus acres you can hunt.
And season has been open for weeks.

In the time it takes you to complain about your hunting being so much more challenging than anywhere else on earth , you could have arrowed a deer.
How many hours have you put in this year trying to kill an eventually destined for migrating deer? Or any deer? Or are you waiting till they are done migrating first , to then bemoan the fact deer hunting sucks for you when you don't own land where any deer are and you have to hunt elsewhere?

Deer benefit from your land. Take one when it's there , or follow it when it leaves. Hunt elsewhere where you don't own the land to kill one , like usual.
If the U.P. is too tough for you , move South. Or South West. Far as you want till you find homebody deer.
Heck , even Florida has deer. It'll come as a shock I'm sure , but snow does not force them to migrate there.
Homebody target or not , it's still hunting .
I don’t complain about hunting being challenging one bit. I do pretty darn good even in the lowest success DMU in the state. I also travel to shoot deer in other parts of the state where it usually only takes a only a minimal amount of time to kill one. Sometimes just minutes from the time I sit down. You have to admit hunting zone 3 is an easy as it gets to fill a tag with the least amount of effort to do so.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts

Wild Thing,

That's AWESOME! What a hunt, and what a story. Isn't great to have those? Most people today just can't believe stuff like that really happened. Sounds like you go one heck of a gal there too. BONUS!!! Thanx for sharing.

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
I don’t complain about hunting being challenging one bit. I do pretty darn good even in the lowest success DMU in the state. I also travel to shoot deer in other parts of the state where it usually only takes a only a minimal amount of time to kill one. Sometimes just minutes from the time I sit down. You have to admit hunting zone 3 is an easy as it gets to fill a tag with the least amount of effort to do so.
You kill a buck doing pretty danged good in your D.M.U. this year? Last year? What part of that is good compared to elsewhere? There are bucks in your D.M.U. just as there are bucks elsewhere too. You don't kill one , then what matters what any other D.M.U. has in it? It's another D.M.U.'s fault if you don't score?

If I don't count the years I haven't filled tags , it can be considered easier hunting. But what of my hunting other zones where a tag was filled or not filled? Was it only due to the zone? Or my participation?

When I pass three deer in a season with similar effort as yours (go sit in blind) as exampled a couple years ago , how is that easier hunting than the numbers you pass on your property?
You saying I couldn't fill a tag on your property quick like today?

L.o.l..
Looking forward to your hunt reports this year. And pics...
Deer have the browse on your site. A good thing.

141 - 160 of 180 Posts