Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 120 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The numbers were ridiculous. I often sighted 100+ deer each sit. Few bucks relative to does, and the roller coaster started. Summer shooting ruined fall. Deer were so nocturnal following the 90’s. Things are great comparatively, plenty of bigger bucks, however a couple more does would be nice.

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,804 Posts
There would be a 1 to 2 mile backup trying to get into Baldwin first couple days of gun opener. Deer were everywhere! So were people! LOL! Wasn't unusual to see 50+ deer in a sit. Got to the point they were eating themselves out of house and home, and saw a lot of malnourished deer starving. That was the ugly side of it.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Turned 12 and started bow hunting in 86. There were tons of deer in my area and saw lots of nice bucks in the 80's and 90's, too bad I did not have a clue what I was doing. Some of my crazy schemes actually almost worked too, lots of close calls on big ones and shot lots of small ones and does. Everyone was happy for you if you got a buck and a nice one was cause for celebration.

My dad hunted very little and I can only remember him getting one deer, I basically taught myself. Once I was in my early 20's and took over teaching my little brother how to hunt (he's 10 years younger) my dad quit going. That's what I miss the most of that time period.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Now its about quality and not quantity, yet they complain about the quantity of quality bucks, lol. Maybe they'll wake up and realize quality and quantity go hand & hand.
We could pick around at the edges of your statement by turning the debate away from reality and towards mathematical wishful thinking, but why?

Harvest pressure is, has been and always will be the determining factor in buck age structure and their representative percentage of population. The scientific name for this is "Waif's Population Bell Curve Theory".

Hunters would be so much better served if they worried about their own caloric intake instead of the deer's.

A mostly true story.

Reactions: KevinHort and Waif

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
What was it like? Was there alot of hunter pressure? Lots of deer or not many around? How was Bow hunting in 1980s?

I have heard stories of awesome bowhunting in the 80s....Less pressure. No problem accessing land. Big bucks in brushy swamp ground areas. Modern archery still becoming popular. Wish I could have experienced some of it!
Never saw a single big buck in the 80's. Bowhunting was low pressure and you could shoot a doe any day of the week on public land. If you were happy seeing occasional spikes and 4pts it was great. You could shoot 4 bucks in a season.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
During that time frame it was excellent if not awesome. 2 bucks in bow and 2 bucks in gun plus if you were lucky to get a doe permit it was a great and memorable time frame. Of course it was also the started or implemented state wide MAPR on the second buck.

The downside is they lied to sportsmen then and now, let me explain. It was great with thousands of acres of state and federal land that predecessors passed on what a great legacy from that era of hunters and game managers of that time frame. During the 80's-90's they noticed that in zone 3 it lacked in land for recreational use. The state passed laws to use mineral rights money/royalties to purchase land specifically in zone 3 to eliminate the issue. As you can see that has not happen in the decades since. Another program started to help alleviate the issue in zone 3 which is known as HAP. Originally the pamphlet grew to a book. The last time I picked one up about 8 years ago it was a few pages stapled together. Also for a program to open areas of hunting opportunities in zone 3 they started leasing private ground in zone 2. A far cry from what HAP originally was initiated to accomplish.

So the 80's and 90's were awesome the question you should be asking ourselves is what legacy we will leave for future generations.
Not only selling away public land but still bTB in NELP at about the same rate of infection. CWD and bouts of EHD not really a stellar legacy for our children. We can say future generations because it does not sound as bad as our children but that's exactly what it is.

Zone 3 has some of the best hunting in the state, if you have access? How will it be 30 or 40 years from now? Especially with urban sprawl and the state not following through and purchasing the necessary acreage to compete with high demand from increase populations and/ or hunters in zone 3?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I don't remember when they started oct 1 for bow and changed opening coon season from oct 20 to oct 1 or allowed tree stands. Old blue treed at 6 in the morning on the river raisen by dundee. I went in and got him. Started leading him out and noticed a lot of bow hunters in trees along the river. I said to my self the times they are a changing.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
76 til present still hunting the same stretch of state land. When I started there the woods were different. Big massive white and red oaks, cedar runs and row pines 10 feet tall. It was a slow morning hunt to only see 6 deer during bow, normal to see 15-20 in a day. 1980ish, big oaks were cut down, cedars were harvested all but a few. Row pines thinned. Deer population exploded until the around 1996, when the state open this area up to large numbers of doe permits, it was a slaughter. Seeing 2 or 3 deer a week was a challenge for a seasonor two. In 2002 one section of row pines were completely clear cut, turning it into a field, still a field today. Deer population now is 6-10 Deer sightings in a week.

Buck size and antler mass really hasn't changed much. Not uncommon to see 10's and a few 12's taken. Body size is not large, best bucks will weigh 130ish dressed.

We do not find dead yarded-up deer here anymore, personally I believe the numbers are close to what this land can actually support.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,011 Posts
During that time frame it was excellent if not awesome. 2 bucks in bow and 2 bucks in gun plus if you were lucky to get a doe permit it was a great and memorable time frame. Of course it was also the started or implemented state wide MAPR on the second buck.

The downside is they lied to sportsmen then and now, let me explain. It was great with thousands of acres of state and federal land that predecessors passed on what a great legacy from that era of hunters and game managers of that time frame. During the 80's-90's they noticed that in zone 3 it lacked in land for recreational use. The state passed laws to use mineral rights money/royalties to purchase land specifically in zone 3 to eliminate the issue. As you can see that has not happen in the decades since. Another program started to help alleviate the issue in zone 3 which is known as HAP. Originally the pamphlet grew to a book. The last time I picked one up about 8 years ago it was a few pages stapled together. Also for a program to open areas of hunting opportunities in zone 3 they started leasing private ground in zone 2. A far cry from what HAP originally was initiated to accomplish.

So the 80's and 90's were awesome the question you should be asking ourselves is what legacy we will leave for future generations.
Not only selling away public land but still bTB in NELP at about the same rate of infection. CWD and bouts of EHD not really a stellar legacy for our children. We can say future generations because it does not sound as bad as our children but that's exactly what it is.

Zone 3 has some of the best hunting in the state, if you have access? How will it be 30 or 40 years from now? Especially with urban sprawl and the state not following through and purchasing the necessary acreage to compete with high demand from increase populations and/ or hunters in zone 3?
Maybe they should start teaching drivers education in zone 3. Previous generations knew how to drive north to zones 1 and 2 to deer hunt even without gps technology. Zone 1 has ~ 6 million acres of land open to public hunting. The instant gratification generation has no desire to leave their parents basement because that’s what they were taught by their parents.

Reactions: Bucman

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
Who were your hunting Mentors in the 1980s?
1960’s - Dad
1970’s - Family friend who owned the camp we hunted at that time
1980’s - Gene and Barry Wensel, Roger Rothaar, Dick Idol and many others who were featured in outdoor magazines

Even as a youngster I was reading everything and anything I could find on Whitetail Deer and later, deer habitat management. Like many of you, to the point of it almost becoming an obsession. Early on, there wasn‘t all that much that was readily available. Today there is an overabundance of information right at our fingertips.

Are you obsessed with Deer and Deer Hunting?? :D

Edit: It’s OK if you are - there are worse vices you could be afflicted with. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Always been my dad and grampa.
First time they ever took me hunting, i was maybe 9 years old and I got to go out for the pheasant opener.
I loved every minute of it and was completely hooked on hunting.
I remember waiting up for my dad to call from hunt camp just to hear if anyone had tagged anything.
When I finally got to go deer hunting I was 12 (back then you needed to be 14 to deer hunt with a gun)
I spent my first 2 deer camps just walking and sitting with my grampa. He was the most patient man I ever met.
He taught me to appreciate what I think is the best part of any hunt. THE MEMORIES THAT YOU MAKE.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Great question. I was thinking a few weeks ago about starting a separate thread about hunting mentors. This would be a great topic for it's own thread. It would be positive and shouldn't be controversial.

I don't want to steal your thunder, so I recommend you do that.

101 - 120 of 180 Posts