Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It never seems to fail. When I go out pheasant hunting I spook bedded deer, usually seeing more deer than pheasants; on state land of course. Well I am deer hunting this year, last week I was sitting in my stand patiently waiting, all of a sudden I heard cackling, and a lot of it. So I looked out into the field. Somehow that cackling transported me to either the Dakotas, or Nebraska.:yikes: Since I have never seen anything like this in Michigan on State land. There was some where between 15-25 birds that flew into this field. I was completely shocked, that is when I damned Murphy and his laws.:lol:

Monday in the stand I watched and listened to this other rooster, different area/field, cackled all day while flying back and forth all over that field. It was great. Maybe its time to put the bow down and get the bird shot out.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Maybe its time to put the bow down and get the bird shot out.[/QUOTE said:
Couldn't agree more. The two actually go hand-in-hand for me. I have found some good deer hunting spots while pounding the uplands for birds and have learned a lot about bird movement while watching from my tree.

As for seeing pheasants... I'm under no false impressions. Pheasant hunting in MI is TOUGH. Lots of boot leather to kill a bird. BUT, I do believe that where there is habitat, there are birds. The problem is there is so little good habitat. Build it and they will come.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Sounds like a troubling experience and I'd hate for you to have to repeat it. Tell you what, why don't you tell me where you're hunting, and next time you go out to deer hunt, I'll tag along and keep those pesky roosters from distracting you. :D

KW

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I can relate seems like it happens to me too when I'm deer hunting with a gun or bow.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Similar situation happened to me some years ago on a property we had just started hunting for the year. During the gun season I fell asleep after a few hours. When I woke up I had several pheasants 20 to 30 yards from me. Happened more than once. I only saw one deer in range during the entire season. We decided to hunt the property during the late pheasant season. And of course all we saw were deer!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts