Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 06 NOV 03

Deer hunters urged to visit information and check stations

With the archery deer hunting season underway statewide, Michigan Department of Natural Resources officials today reminded successful hunters to visit deer check stations operating throughout the state.

The stations are located at several DNR field offices, state game areas, parks, and recreation areas. A complete schedule of field offices and check stations is available on the DNR web site, www.michigan.gov/dnr.

Hunters are reminded to phone ahead when possible, to confirm check station hours and locations. Three check stations are strategically located along major travel arteries during firearm season.

* Big Rapids, Nov. 16-18, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., US-131 rest area south of Big Rapids

* Birch Run, Nov. 16-18 and 23, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., weigh station 2.5 miles north of Birch Run

* St. Ignace, Nov. 16-18, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., bridge view parking area on Marley Street south of US-2

Hunters who bring their deer or deer heads to a DNR check station will learn biological information about their animal and will receive a 2003 Successful Deer Hunter Patch. The patch is given to hunters for assisting the DNR in gathering deer management data.

Hunters who bring their deer to the check stations are asked to have their deer in an accessible location so DNR staff can easily examine teeth and measure antler diameters. DNR staff also will record harvest location, deer age, sex, total antler points, and antler beam diameter. These data are important to evaluate the health and condition of the deer herd for future management.

As part of the DNR’s effort to monitor bovine tuberculosis (TB) in deer, hunters taking deer in the following 33 counties are encouraged to bring their deer or deer heads to any DNR office for free TB testing: Alcona, Alpena, Antrim, Arenac, Bay, Benzie, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Clare, Crawford, Emmet, Gladwin, Grand Traverse, Iosco, Isabella, Kalkaska, Lake, Leelanau, Manistee, Mason, Mecosta, Midland, Missaukee, Montmorency, Newaygo, Oceana, Ogemaw, Osceola, Oscoda, Otsego, Presque Isle, Roscommon, and Wexford.

As part of the statewide Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Surveillance Plan, 62 sample counties have been selected for deer head submission to Michigan State University for CWD testing. This helps ensure that CWD is not present in Michigan’s deer herd.

DNR conservation officers, wildlife biologists, and operation services staff will be available at two DNR information centers on Nov. 13-14 to provide hunters with deer hunting literature and answer questions on hunting prospects and regulations.

* Clare Welcome Center, US-27, Nov. 13-14, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

* St. Ignace Welcome Center, I-75 at Mackinac Bridge, Nov. 13-14, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

A complete list of DNR information stations and deer check stations, as well as Deer Management Unit maps, hunting regulations, disease surveillance, and other hunting information is available on the DNR website.

Hunters throughout Michigan who plan to travel for hunting opportunities this year are reminded that transporting firewood can also transport pests and forests diseases. Leading the state’s list of concerns is the Emerald Ash Borer, an invasive species that has destroyed more than 6 million ash trees in Southeast and mid-Michigan since it arrived five or six years ago. All hunters are urged to use local firewood, and those who reside in the quarantine counties of Southeast and mid-Michigan should observe the state’s continued firewood transport ban to help prevent the spread of this pest and ensure the future health of their favorite hunting areas. For more information about the firewood ban and EAB, visit the state’s EAB web site at www.michigan.gov/mda.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If the state wants the deer checked, why didn't they replace the check station that was located at the rest stop north of Alma? When the rest stop was closed, they should have moved the check station to the Clare rest stop.

·
Registered
35,223 Posts
That's one thing that I regreat not doing over the years. I taken in many deer but I should have taken in many more. I've had fellow hunters also say they regreat not registering deer.

The patches also make a nice momento of the hunt.

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Nice display Rasdale.

Here's this years patch. I'm having my doe checked for TB

:) :D ;) :p :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
My framed patches are from my deer 1972 to 1999. I do have my patches for 2000,2001,2002 and 2003, just don't have them in a frame

1 - 7 of 7 Posts