Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was grouse hunting yesterday I ran across a cardboard sign tacked to a tree that said Bear hunter in area please do not disturb. Really can I do that with an area where I find grouse can I put up a claim and claim it as mine. I also found a nice deer stand on public land with no name on it. I have it marked on my GPS and have given the location to friends. So they can use the stand.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Youre right, its not just deer hunters, its hunters in general. Public land is hard, everyone that hunts it think they own it and dont care to share it.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
When I was grouse hunting yesterday I ran across a cardboard sign tacked to a tree that said Bear hunter in area please do not disturb. Really can I do that with an area where I find grouse can I put up a claim and claim it as mine. I also found a nice deer stand on public land with no name on it. I have it marked on my GPS and have given the location to friends. So they can use the stand.

One of the many reasons, among others, I love AA events and Spaniel trials, You just donot have to put up with ghetto hunters and slobish behavior.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
When I was grouse hunting yesterday I ran across a cardboard sign tacked to a tree that said Bear hunter in area please do not disturb. Really can I do that with an area where I find grouse can I put up a claim and claim it as mine.
OTOH, I had a good encounter with some Bear Hunters this morning. I was about to go into the woods in a place beyond "off the beaten path".;)
When a bear chase erupted within a few hundred yards of the parking place. So I held up, not wanting to foul up the trail for the Treeing Walkers. Presently three pickups full of Bear hunters came roaring up to the end of the road. We had a nice chat, I told them where the dogs had crossed, what time and that they were hot and which way they were headed. They appreciated my not getting in the middle of the action. And then they were gone.

The girl with them liked Rocky. And they told me about a place that was full of woodcock. :D Almost all of the chance encounters I have with other hunters in the woods is of a positive nature.

NB

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Seems the common denominator is dog men, from KS to the Dakotas to Michigan the folks running beagles, hounds, ect... have all been very helpful and willing to share information. I'm sorry to hear that Doug, I guess I'd rather know they were there so I don't waste my time and can move along than not. The Coyote and Cat hunters out west, they'll tell you where the birds are that's for sure.

I've had more "ill" encounters with bow hunters than anything else, I've got lots of spots, just let me know you are there, that said I've had more "good encounters" than bad.

That said, Three times this year, we've been parked in a spot and had other bird hunters park "yards xxx" away and start hunting. I'd still rather have the vast public lands we have then to fight for private access all the time.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have only had one bad encounter this year and it was more negative than bad. That was with another bird hunter who gave me dirty looks and turned his back to me when I waved to him. I was driving out of an area I had already hunted. He had parked about 80 yards from my truck and was getting ready to hunt.

As far as the bear hunter I respected his request, but it makes me wonder how angry he will get if someone wonders into his baiting area from another angle and does not see his sign on public land. I thought about writing free doughnuts on his sign and arrow pointing up the path. :lol:

I have no problem sharing the woods with others and make an effort to avoid tree stands while hunting. But I would expect people to obey the law and put their names and address on the tree stands.

Infact I actually hunted with Justin when we crossed paths in the woods. Had a good time watching him work his pointers for the hour or so that we hunted together and then we went to separate areas to hunt.

I would be more worried if I had a pointer that hunted farther out than I could see. There is a little piece of mind that I can see where my dog is. I do worry about bow hunters getting angry and shooting a dog. As it happens to often across the country.

It's just hunting not life or death.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
One of the many reasons, among others, I love AA events and Spaniel trials, You just donot have to put up with ghetto hunters and slobish behavior.
I don't know I have seen some anger at those events. I have seen handlers stomp off to their trucks and speed off. Or they get angry if you are to close to their truck or their dog. They think your going to poison their dog or something. Which is a legitimate worry.

http://gma.yahoo.com/westminster-dog-show-competitor-poisoned-021241960--abc-news-pets.html

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I hate that it has to come to this but writing down plate numbers is a good idea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
I don't know I have seen some anger at those events. I have seen handlers stomp off to their trucks and speed off. Or they get angry if you are to close to their truck or their dog. They think your going to poison their dog or something. Which is a legitimate worry.

http://gma.yahoo.com/westminster-dog-show-competitor-poisoned-021241960--abc-news-pets.html

:D Well the hunt test crowd that might hang with the Westminster crowd might resort to such tactics, the chance of them dangling from a tree, imitating a deer/bear hunter with a weapon is not going to happen. AA spaniel trial folks donot hang with the dog show crowd as a rule. If they did the hunt test program would not in such shambles.:D;)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
WI also found a nice deer stand on public land with no name on it. I have it marked on my GPS and have given the location to friends. So they can use the stand.
Your buddies cant can't hunt it either, if it is not marked. Make sure they bring a cardboard sign with the required info and attach it while they use it.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Unfortunately, it can't be narrowed down to one group of slobs. Every group has them. As far as bow hunters go, I'm always mindful of hunting areas that are not likely to house a deer hunter and I also try to hunt later in the morning and shut it down earlier in the afternoon. I deer hunt, so I get it. I'm just lucky enough not to have to do so on public land. If I had to hunt deer on pubic land I wouldn't spend the time or money to do it.

There are a lot more deer hunters than bird hunters, so you can bet there are more morons doing it too. But, there also just as many level headed deer hunters that understand the position they put themselves in by hunting land that is open to everyone, all the time. It's the price you pay. Speaking of which, I'm about to go work on my wife's spots on our place. Stupid deer...

I've had a couple of choice encouners at field trials also. Like, when your dog pisses on a photographer at the break away. He's still "pissy" about it; like I had something to do with it...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Being a deer hunter myself I would like the possible push my way if a bird hunter came through. I hunt private land for deer so I won't see any bird hunters during rifle season. But if I did hear a bell off in the distance and I had a safe shooting lane my gun would be on the tripod ready to go (pointing in a safe direction of course). I wouldn't bird hunt during rifle season though, to many itchy trigger fingers scoped in on brushy areas they see movement in. Add alcohol and your asking for disaster. Unfortunately alcohol is common during deer hunting, bars are packed all day long in small communities during rifle season, that scares me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have had my info on my stand attached to it and some d-bags out there like to rip them off of the stands.... Found it 50yds down the trail all shot up.. It was 2 weeks before I got out to my stand again to find out what happened.. And sometimes they fall off and blow away in storms.. Hope it wasn't mine

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
If I saw a sign like that, I would pull out and hunt somewhere else, not just to give the guy his peace and quiet, but also to help my dog avoid possibly rancid bait that the bears have pulled out and left. Yucch.

Like everybody, I've had moments with other hunters, but to be honest, not a lot over the years. As the bow season progresses after it gets going there will be more people in the woods, but they hunt mostly at night, and if I am that late getting in there, I drive through to look for parked cars. If I see one, I move on. I figure it's only courteous and you never know what an angry person is going to do, I don't want to subject myself or my dog to possible problems.

If they pile in on me, I apologize for screwing up their deer hunting for the night, which I've undoubtedly done, then pull out of there. Usually, they don't want to hunt there that night after we've been in there blowing our whistles, yelling at the dogs, shooting our guns, anyway...who would...

And then we avoid that area in the future. If you are hunting land so public that you constantly run into other people, you really need to find other public land...who wants to hunt public land so trampled that you know the birds you're putting up have undoubtedly already been shot at a hundred times. Not me.

I try to treat people courteously if only with the hope that they will feel bad in the future and do the same to the next guy THEY run into.

And that's after we had a guy pull in on us this morning, who apparently couldn't hear us back there or didn't care as he went in to set up his hunting spot, I guess. We will hunt during the week there or go somewhere else, but we won't be back there if he is hunting there, doesn't matter what he's hunting.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I try to go by the first come first serve policy because I feel it's common courtesy. Marking a spot as your own? I would get a chuckle out of that. I have run ins with fisherman who end up 100 yards downwind of my decoy spread when hunting duck and geese. I used to spaz out now I just chain smoke and mutter lots of bad words because legally I can't do a damn thing and I've felt bad after cursing out some people that really meant no harm. I give most other outdoorsmen the benefit of the doubt as much as it seems like they just don't give a rats ass about your hunt it is usually just that they are unaware.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I try to go by the first come first serve policy because I feel it's common courtesy. Marking a spot as your own? I would get a chuckle out of that. I have run ins with fisherman who end up 100 yards downwind of my decoy spread when hunting duck and geese. I used to spaz out now I just chain smoke and mutter lots of bad words because legally I can't do a damn thing and I've felt bad after cursing out some people that really meant no harm. I give most other outdoorsmen the benefit of the doubt as much as it seems like they just don't give a rats ass about your hunt it is usually just that they are unaware.
I fished next to some duck hunters once... I didn't even know they were there till they asked me politely to move... They were camouflaged to good lol

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Am i missing something? Guy put up a sign letting people know he was bear hunting and was asking for a little respect..... If it read "keep out" or "buzz off" i could understand getting butt hurt about it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I don't think it's the hound hunters that would post a sign that they're in the area. It's more likely someone baiting bear & tree stand hunting (hunting the same way as deer hunters). It's the hunters that have picked a spot & are sitting that don't want someone else coming through. I'm not sure what the protocol is. If a vehicle's not there I guess I would park & hunt, but would move on if someone's parked there.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Am i missing something? Guy put up a sign letting people know he was bear hunting and was asking for a little respect..... If it read "keep out" or "buzz off" i could understand getting butt hurt about it.
I can see both sides of the coin here...on one hand, it's kinda like ***?! On the other, he's just letting you know he's back there...like you said Boomer, it's not like he's saying keep out or anything

1 - 20 of 50 Posts