Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried the sweet mix instead of regular corn?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
748 Posts
I tried it this year for the first --- and last time. It sat on the ground for almost a month. Honestly I think the turkeys ate it more than the deer. I have NO idea why the deer don't like it but they don't. Regular corn no problem.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I never used it before this gun opener and thought I would give it a try. I put some out November 14th in the evening. Deer hit it that night. Took a buck opener day evening that was headed to it. On the evening of the 16th I shot an an old doe that had been busting me all bow season:rant:. She was making a be line right for it:evilsmile. It is not cheap but I think it played at least a small part in helping me stuff my freezer:coolgleam.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
buy a bag of corn and a gallon of cattle molasses at the feed store. Mix it up for yourself and save a bunch of money. Mix them together in buckets and use as needed.
another mix is, 1 gal cider, 1 bottle maple syrup, 1 bottle vanilla extract. I have used this, and still use it with corn, and even put it in a spray bottle to scent the area of a new pile. We also use it on state land, without corn, so bait piles are not so easily hunted by other hunters. Lots of times , when locals are out stand shopping, I think bait piles scream " hear I am"

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
In the past have used "Sweet Horse Feed" from the local co-op... Its a mix of small grains and molasses and such. It worked well but cannot say it worked any better than corn...

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
1 Gallon of shelled corn (bought from Tractor supply)

1 gallon of Sweet Mix Horse feed (bought from Tractor supply)

1/4 bag of Black Magic Power (bought from Dunhams)

Mix together = Works everytime

·
Registered
536 Posts
I use 1 1/2 gal of shelled corn
Then I mix in a scoop or two of Big&J or Apple Crush

2 Gal of shelled corn
A Jar of Peanut Butter mix it all together in a bucket

Goto Meijers buy the whole Bin of Sweet Beats cut off the greens. (2 doz)
I work 3rds so I will get off and buy out the Bins two or three days in a row ending up with 5-8dz Beats Bulbs.
Cut the beat up into small pcs on cutting board, throw in blender in pulverize
Mix it into 2 gal of shelled corn spread out and then throw the 14-18in. Long greens that you chopped off earlier on top of pile.
^^^^^
This really works awesome in Central Ohio in middle Jan. I know our season ends on Jan.1 but I have used it up at my property in N. Mich with great results.

Last recipe.
Shelled corn
Then go buy a few bales of straight alfalfa and put out 2 leafs at a time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've used this one to see if deer were still using an area at night or had completely vacated due to pressure.

Deer cookies

1 - 1 1/2 large canister rolled oats
1 large jar black strap molasses
1 large jar peanut butter
Salt to taste
Vanilla

Heat peanut butter in microwave till thin. Mix with other ingredients. Just play with mix amounts until it all it holds together well.

Press out on cookie sheets about 3/8 " thick and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Cut into squares while warm. Makes about 2 gallons of cookies.

Like I said it was used several years ago to patten deer when none had been seen for a couple of weeks. Placed after dark scattered in the woods (deep with leaves) and also in grass a little over a foot tall. Not a single piece left in the morning.

Be sure to save a sandwich bag full to snack on while hunting.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts