Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am clearing out several acres of land that have gone from corn field to 6 to 8 inch black locusts and yellow poplars over the last 15 years or so and piling up the tops in brushpiles for rabbits. I want to replace them with whitetail attracting trees and shrubs. I thought about apple trees but they cost money:( The DNR in Indiana has crab apple trees for almost free. Would they do a very good job of attracting whitetails? Any other suggestions on what I should plant?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
You should be able to buy some trees pretty cheap there. I planted crab apples and the deer always seem to go after they freeze a couple times. In fact I have 20 in the ground now and plan on making another field of just them.

Maybe even think about a small food plot as well;) Clovers are generally a good bet for deer. Just my 2.........marty:D

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
They will work for attraction deer and other animals. You need to protect them from all the animals.

·
Registered
36,082 Posts
My conservation district provides sargent crabs for that purpose. They are real small and require protection. Baileys sells the expanded plastic protectors real cheap, they are slao biodegradable.

The protectors do a pretty good job until the trees get bigger. The down side is the bears pull them off to play with them. I've found them scattered around my property, up to 1/4 mile away from where I had them protecting elderberry's. Not much works for stop bears.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. The DNR sells flowering crab apples for $32 a 100 so that ought to take care of it. Yogi says -Hey Boo-Boo no bears in our neighborhood, so that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Bears, now that is a problem. I had a bear tear limbs off of an apple tree in front of my cabin. The tree only had 4 or 5 apples on it. When my other apple trees start to produce I will need to do something. Thinkng on an batt. power elec. fence, anyone tried that to keep the bears out? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
goggleye do some research. I'm sure if your crab apple trees take you can graft normal apple limbs into the crabapple. All they use is suckers off a good apple tree. I have witnessed one apple tree giving off 3 diffrent types of apples by grafting. I'm not sure if you can get this info from the net but I'v viewed it in book form. good luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be interesting to try. I guess All you need is beeswax, cotton twine and a sharp knife. And of course some apple branches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts