Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find some plans to build a deer feeder. I have a friend who likes to watch deer from her living room window. She isn't a hunter but just enjoys viewing them. I am not looking for the one made with PVC pipe, or a cut up plastic drum. Here is a picture of one that I really like but was wondering if anyone had plans for one that is not so involved. I want it to hold up for quite awhile but this one looks a little complicated and expensive to build. Any suggestions would be really great. Thanks..

·
Registered
514 Posts
If memory serves me right I think that kind of feeder is illegal
I think the feed has to be spread in a 10 foot radius, and no more than 2 gallons on the ground at a time. I am sure some others will correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Camo boy is right - that feeder would not meet the current DNR regulations for recreational viewing of deer

Here is the link for the rec-viewing informtion:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37705-44703--,00.html

From above link:

Recreational Viewing

In Alcona, Alpena, Crawford, Montmorency, Oscoda, Otsego, and Presque Isle counties:

All feeding is prohibited.
In the remainder of the state (deer and elk):

The volume of feed at any residence cannot exceed two gallons.
The feed must be scattered or dispersed at least 100 yards from any area accessible to cattle, goats, sheep, new world camelids, bison, swine, horses, or captive cervidae and no more than 100 yards from a residence on land owned or possessed by that person.

The feed must be scattered on the ground. It can be scattered by any means, including mechanical spin-cast feeders, provided that the spin-cast feeder does not distribute more than the maximum daily volume allowed.

Any type of food material can be used.

Food plots, naturally occurring foods, standing agricultural crops, or food placed as a result of using normal agricultural practices are not considered to be feeding.

ferg....

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See what do I know about deer feeders. LOL I actually found this one on eBay. Guess I better look into something a little different. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I would look into a spin cast type feeder. Most have several different settings for time and volume of feed dispensed. As long as its within 100 yards of the residence and does not dispense more than 2 gallons a day it would be legal. Also by setting it to a small amount of feed to dispense during light times it would encourage the deer to visit during daylight, where as with the other type of feeders most feeding would probably occur during the night and your friend would not get to view them. I bought parts from cabelas to make one and they ran about $29 for the dispensing unit, plus a battery $10 and a solar recharge kit for $15. You need to supply a bucket or drum however. I have yet to set mine up so I can't report on how it works.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
If its in her back yard you could call it a "Bird Feeder", "Coon Feeder", etc.

If the Deer happen to come to it its a bonus.

I have Deer come into within 20 yards of the back of my house and eat the Bird seed on the Bird feeder, is that illegal since the bird seed contains no corn and is off the ground?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone for your posts--I am sure I will figure something out. This lady does have deer come in her back yard during daylight hours. She isnt a hunter and never will be -- she only wants to have her cup of coffee in the morning and watch the wildlife outside her window ---so I will figure out something for her. Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
ArrowHawk said:
If its in her back yard you could call it a "Bird Feeder", "Coon Feeder", etc.

If the Deer happen to come to it its a bonus.

I have Deer come into within 20 yards of the back of my house and eat the Bird seed on the Bird feeder, is that illegal since the bird seed contains no corn and is off the ground?

If they can reach the feeder and actully eat out of the feeder itself, I do believe that would be illegal - if the birds are feeding and knocking the seed to the ground where it is scattered and the deer are feeding off the ground then there is no problem.

Someone jump in here and correct me - but I think if they can reach the feeder it's no good -

ferg....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Look at Moultriefeeders.com in their clearance sale you can get a bucket feeder for under 20 bucks.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I will look it up...she is not a very strong older woman so she probably wont even be able to put much feed in it anyway. But will check it out

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Ferg said:
If they can reach the feeder and actully eat out of the feeder itself, I do believe that would be illegal - if the birds are feeding and knocking the seed to the ground where it is scattered and the deer are feeding off the ground then there is no problem.

Someone jump in here and correct me - but I think if they can reach the feeder it's no good -

ferg....
I seriously doubt a bird feeder full of bird seed would be illegal if a deer can reach it. If that is the case though theres probably a million violations in the state. That would be totally obsurd! :mad:

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
If you are talking actually about a "bird" feeder then there would be no problem. However, if you are putting up something with the intent of feeding deer and trying to pass it off as a bird feeder, please let your local CO where you're going to have this set up.:)

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
I stand corrected - as I 'thought' I might be - thanks for the input Ray -

ferg....

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I was with some buddies summer near Glennie and we carted some round hay bails over there as bunkers and what not for paintball. Well the DNR showed up a few days later while we were in the middle of a match by the way, and ticketed my buddy's dad for illegal feeding. Needless to say it got pretty heated. Funny thing is that they're not a hunting family.

·
Registered
323 Posts
GVDocHoliday said:
I was with some buddies summer near Glennie and we carted some round hay bails over there as bunkers and what not for paintball. Well the DNR showed up a few days later while we were in the middle of a match by the way, and ticketed my buddy's dad for illegal feeding. Needless to say it got pretty heated. Funny thing is that they're not a hunting family.

Was this on private property? If so, that is crazy. I guess it is pretty typical for hunters to bait with hay bails come November. :dizzy:

sjhawkeye

G

·
Deer do not eat just any hay, it needs to be second cutting minimum. Deer will eat second cutting clover but even this is not preferred. Most know about second or third cutting alfalfa and yes deer will hit on it but not until it gets into late fall at the earliest. Deer will not eat baled grass at any time whiter it is first, second or third cutting

When did this happen and what was the condition of the baled hay. If it wasn't the right stuff, (deer are picky) a roll of tarpaper would be just as apetizing to deer.

Knowing the cost of baled hay I doubt it was a quality type of hay that deer would consume. Second cutting alfalfa is expensive, while first cutting of any type of baled hay is at least half the price.

Something doesn't compute here. MDNR Co's are aware of this and I'm sure are advised to act accordingly. Normally there is a warning issued, and with a little investigation it soon becomes apparent that it isn't feed, let alone bait. If indeed it was choice second or third cutting alfalfa hay, then my suspicions go to the landowner, who claims not to hunt there. Well, he may not but perhaps someone does.

The odd thing is, deer do not go for the hay, choice second cutting or not, until well past the firearm season. Where these guys playing paintball in December?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, if any CO's are on the forum they now have a new target to keep them occupied. The felonious bird feeders that they can use their imagination to call a "deer" feeder.

I'm sure they will also use this a "Probable Cause" to enter on private property to look for any other "possible" law violations.

The hay bale reply would be funny if it apparently wasn't true. They should write tickets to every farmer in the state if that were the case.

By the way, sure is nice to see our CO's promoting the outdoor sports. Did they forget where their money comes from?? It is from all of the outdoor enthusiasts--hunters, fishers, campers and anyone else that participates in the outdoors. Maybe the govenor needs to lay a few CO's off and keep the troopers instead. The troopers target true criminals of law NOT guys in a field with hay bales for cover during a piantball game!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Look into a spin feeder. Look for one with a remote control. Its a nice option to have. You can put it up for her with pulleys and a boat wench on a tripod or make a support, like a kids swing, or maybe used a tree in her yard, that way she can lower it to refill herself and it will be legal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts