Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have noticed several deer road kills in the past week and was wondering if this increase is related to does dispersing their family members as they prepare to rear their fawns. On a stretch of M-5 in Farmington Hills, I have seen 3 dead deer. I drive this 4 mile stretch everyday to work and haven't seen this many road kills in a 1 year period. The deer all appear to be does but they could easily be 1 year old bucks who have yet to be showing any antler.
[/COLOR]
Does everyone agree?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I think there are quite a few factors. I think for one they love the new growth along most all the roads right now. They are almost like long, mowed, native food plots and this is the time of year they are in high-gear. Then you have the dispersal of family members for fawning, while at the same time you have a more even representation of adult does across the entire whitetail range as the competition for fawning cover takes place. Within that idea of competition you even will have some does that hide their fawns on 1 side of the road, while their own bedding cover is on the other. Might be they were forced into that situation due to competion...might just be the cover on the other side of the road is great fawning cover, but poor adult doe bedding cover making their daily trips across the road pretty frequent.

I'm also not totally sold that in the U.P. all the deer are fully back to their summer ranges. I've seen recent sparse activity on the migration trails heading north and I wonder if the explosion of native forages slows their movements down quite a bit. Of course that should change with the fawning...but that spring migration is MUCH longer than the winter migration. Anyway you look at it though...lots of dead deer this time of year!

·
Registered
570 Posts
BUGS,

The mosquitos here are terrible, I feel the deer head to the roadways to get a little relief from the blood sucking insects.
Even with bug spray on you don't want to spend much time out in the woods right now.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Fawning dispersal is part of the reason for increased road kills statewide. However, the M-5 section thru Novi continues to have development/urban sprawl that exacerbates the problem. For example, the ongoing Fox Run high-end senior devolpment [M-5 and 13 Mile Road] has almost completely destroyed a beautiful piece of habitat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts