Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to put the three letters in the title(CWD). I'm not trying to start a big stink with those scary 3 letters. However, I just recieved a call from my deer hunting buddy, he said that there was a comment made to him at work from a fella that lives in the rochester area that two deer have been found with this disease(CWD). I know rochester area has had some issues with another whitetail disease(I don't know the name of it, but I know it's doing a number on the deer). I told him that I had not heard anything about CWD being found anywhere else but an isolated area in Kent Co. Has anyone heard anything about this? and what is the name of the disease they currently have in the area (I belive it's some sort of parasite). I would really like to call him back with some information so the false information doesn't start traveling like I know it does so easily. Thanks in advance for the information.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I didn't want to put the three letters in the title(CWD). I'm not trying to start a big stink with those scary 3 letters. However, I just recieved a call from my deer hunting buddy, he said that there was a comment made to him at work from a fella that lives in the rochester area that two deer have been found with this disease(CWD). I know rochester area has had some issues with another whitetail disease(I don't know the name of it, but I know it's doing a number on the deer). I told him that I had not heard anything about CWD being found anywhere else but an isolated area in Kent Co. Has anyone heard anything about this? and what is the name of the disease they currently have in the area (I belive it's some sort of parasite). I would really like to call him back with some information so the false information doesn't start traveling like I know it does so easily. Thanks in advance for the information.
The DNR identified this outbreak as EHD. Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease

here is a link

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-199431--,00.html

Dr. Terry Kreeger of the WFWD says that ehd kills more deer each year than cwd. So why is there such an outrage about cwd when nobody cared that this disease killed 30 deer in your area.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
So why is there such an outrage about cwd when nobody cared that this disease killed 30 deer in your area.
Because EHD takes care of itself when the disease carrying flies are killed with the first frost. Aside from killing all insects theres not a lot that can be done.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Because EHD takes care of itself when the disease carrying flies are killed with the first frost. Aside from killing all insects theres not a lot that can be done.
What do ya think about this. CWD in Colorado wild herd at least 28 years with under a 5% infection rate. Most of those showing no signs of being sick.

Now just how will that wipe out a herd?:dizzy:

ummmm?

Maybe it will take care of it's self too?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Michigan's land area is approximately 56,000 Sq miles. With a deer population of 1.8 million leading to an average of 32 Deer per sq mile. Most of which is concentrated in lower Michigan leading to much higher densities.

Colorado's land area is approximately 104,000 Sq miles with a total Elk and Mule deer pop of 850,000 animals lead to an average of 8 per sq mile.

I think everyones in agreement with the fact that higher populations lead to faster spread of disease as this has been well documented. Now I'm not Wildlife Biologist so I'm not gonna get in a debate over this topic and the truth is that no one really knows how this CWD problem is going to pan out. I for one would rather be safe than sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts