Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
We don’t have an elaborate set up, just a pop up camper with a two burner gas cooktop so we don’t get to fancy. We just keep it simple. But from a tradition standpoint, our first night in camp is Glennie Tavern pizza.

After that is chili and hot dogs, chicken fajitas, pie shams, spaghetti, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
All the years I have hunted up there, and I never have been inside the Glennie tavern or eaten their food.

The Curtisville market though, they have great pizza and sammiches. Usually stop in there a couple times while we are up there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Every year the must have was a ladyfriend's (Ma Hunter) home made chicken vegetable soup including her noodles for the first night. It is a ritual and we would leave the soup on top the stove for the night in case anyone got hungry, then we buried the rest in the morning. The rest of our meals were whatever we brought.

·
Registered
508 Posts
We always do a roast on the night before the opener and then venison chili in the crockpot for opening day. Wash it all down with some bourbon and call it a night.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Geez some of these pics are right out of Betty Crocker / Log Cabin life magazines while others are set in an old school seasoned cast-iron pot

Isn't it AWESOME how all are enjoyed just a much

You'll have to excuse me now as I have to go run a few miles to drop the pounds all this cooking will add back on in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I do wish you guys would quit talking about having a few toddies during deer season. This allergies to any kind of alcohol really sucks.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
What is everyone’s staple food, meal or snack you “must have” at camp? Something that is brought or cooked at camp year after year?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I keep it as simple as possible. Bacon and eggs for breakfast, and Spam and rice for lunch and supper. I do all the hunting and all the cooking. I'm not about to overburden myself with the cooking.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Pork rinds, pistachios and alcohol of your choice. If you eat anything else you're kicked out for life. You do have a decent chance at a booner tho.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We are trying to get rid of the left over venison from the year before. So almost everything is venison, fajitas, tacos, chili, sliders, steaks...etc.

We also have lots of halloween candy, chips and salsa, snacks of all kinds.

My uncle also makes breakfast burritos that rival McDonald's.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts