Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone usually sends this thread out every year...but what does your deer camp look like? I don't have any pics right now but our camp consists of a 16' by 32' piece of canvas. Very rustic. What do you guys use for heat? We've been using a wood stove but it doesn't quite last through the night. We were thinking of going to propane. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
We use a cabin tent the same size as yours. Over the years we have used both wood stoves and propane heaters to warm our tent. Wood is by far the best because it helps to dry things out much better. Now days we use a combination of the two. We kick on the propane heaters to take the chill out when the wood stove has died and if it's cold enough we may run the propane while we're out hunting to keep things warm until we return to fire up the wood stove. I'd post picks but I don't have any handy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a couple of deer camps I go to each year. During bow season it's a cabin on a buddys land and during gun it's usually a 10x20 canvas tent with a wood burning stove for heat. The stove seems to do pretty good for keeping us warm at night but it usually ends up with one of us having to wake up throwing more wood in. Couldn't find any decent pics on my pc but I will make sure to get some good pics this season.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Good post!
I would like to see what others have done with there Deer camp set up.
My dad got a bull elk permit for the december hunt, and we are planning on taking up our big Army tent for a base camp. We did heat it with propane out West, but hearing some of the affixiation stories, maybe that is not such a good idea.
Anyone have any pics of there set up?? I know I have seen some on here before.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
I hunt out of three places every year. One is the in-laws cabin and that is just a cabin, not really a hunting camp to me.

Here are pictures of my two "deer camps"

This is our bow camp in the UP. You can only see one of the tents in this picture but there are two of the big army canvas tents set up and then one smaller mess tent (the white tent in the pic) and one smaller tent that is used as a closet/storage area. One of the tents is heated with a wood burner and the other uses a fuel oil stove from an old farm house. Light is from propane lantern, cook stove runs on propane as well and water is toted in from town. The camp has been around for 20+yrs and it is down to a science now. It is home sweet home for about 20 guys for 8 wonderful days and is as warm and dry as any house. I'll be up there in 16 days, can't wait!!!

This is the cabin we hunt out of near Cadillac. I only spend the long Thanksgiving weekend here but my dad and uncle spend the majority of the gun season here. It is a turn of the century farm house built with no electricity and no running water. The same lantern set-up we use in the tent above is used here. It is heated by a wood burner which does a good job of keeping things warm and comfortable. Easily sleeps 10+ thanks to the upstairs loft set up. It has taken some work to keep it in shape but it is a great camp and I can't wait to get back this year!!

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
This our Iron county deer camp.

When I saw your pic my first thought was "looks similar to the woods we camp in up in the UP". We are in Dickinson County, right next door to you guys.

·
Registered
36 Posts
These pictures get me so pumped for deer season... Too bad it is so far away... I had to sell my bow last year due to financial reasons, and am hoping that I will be able to purchase another next year.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

(Note the four wheel drive parked in front of my lodge.)

Sleeps 8 hunters with a 4'x4' fire pit.
About 20', front door to back. Lodge poles are 30'.

Mitch

·
Registered
12,882 Posts
We use our old family farm house. Built in the early 1910's and it is where my grandma grew up. I wish i had a picture because its straight out of another world, the olden day's, the good ole days. The chicken coop and two out of three barnes are still standing. The logs in the barnes were cut by hand and have, for the most part lasted almost 90 years. There have been updates like plumming and electricity put in the house. There is still an old horse drawn sliegh in the barn that was used to get back and fourth to town.

I hope this property stays in our family forever.:)

·
Registered
12,882 Posts
Nice camp's chuckgrmi

·
Registered
642 Posts
Awesome pics guys, keep em coming!!:cool:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts