Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently hunt the back side of my property in a pop-up blind that is getting pretty torn up; age, weather, and vermin have taken their toll on the screens and other areas of the fabric. I've never loved this blind, and I'm finally getting to a place financially and with available time to where I might be able to construct a nice, permanent blind rather than replace this pop-up for next season (2020).

I daydream on what my "ultimate" blind would be. I have 2 young boys (5 and 1 y/o) so I'm thinking on making this a "blind on steriods" for adventures with dad - more of a tiny cabin/man shed for us to be out in the woods...maybe even be able to sleep in it for camp-outs. I have not settled on a size yet; I'm leaning toward something between 8x8' and 8x12'. But I will want it to have heat!

There is ample firewood available to heat a smaller structure everywhere around where I want to put this; there is tons of large buckthorn that I'm killing and slowly cutting down. The branch/trunk sizes would be perfect for a small stove without having to do any splitting. Does anyone have experience with this wood stove:

https://heatredefined.com/products/12-css
upload_2019-10-25_12-42-34.png

You can get them at Cabela's, Home Depot, etc. They are light enough to carry in (I would have to pack this in on my back), have a number of accessories available (water tank, side shelf, bottom plate, etc.), made in USA, and not terribly expensive.

Yes, I know there are propane stoves like the Nuway that are a step up from a Buddy heater. Propane is easier, but I have to haul a tank in/out, so I'm weighing the merits of both. There is just something that I love about wood heat that grew up with but don't have in my home. I know there are split opinions on whether smoke/exhaust from a wood fire or propane heater spooks animals. I hunted for years with some friends out of blinds with small wood stoves. We almost always took deer and had coyotes pass within a dozen or more yards of us, so I'm not that worried about the smoke spooking deer (albeit, these were longer shots than what I have).

I would be interested if anyone has anything good/bad to say about the wood stove I linked, or any general thoughts on heating a larger blind.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
I'd go with wood.

Unlimited supply and you'll be a lot safer from carbon monoxide poisoning, especially with little ones.

Then again, you'll have to worry about burns, but nothing a screen couldn't fix.

Downside is you'll have a hard time keeping it comfortable. That little cub will pump out some serious heat. The fix? Make the blind bigger :) - you'll need to for proper clearances anyways.

·
Premium Member
10,791 Posts
Small bathroom size ventless heater that mounts on the wall. 1 -20 lb tank will last forever and they are quiet

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
I've always used blue flame or plaque heaters 18 20 k BTU. My 10-12 uninsulated she'd a 18k plaque bake you out but I like blue flame better.

If you go wood get those duraflame logs, alot less to haul in.and ya get three hours.

As for blind, our Amish build some really cool stuff. Log cabin looking sheds with porches and everything and they'll build to suit. Not deer blinds persay I'm saying I am not handy. If I built what your talking about, first 5 mph wind it would look like hurricane Katrina came through

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Blue Flame is the way to go, I replaced my original Propane wall heater with one. You have to think about in the pre morning light about light reflection, this new one you do not. Comes with a Oxygen deplete sensor to turn off automatically. I through less that 40# of Propane for the gun season. That is equates to 25 sits but I like the heat going with the gun ports open and I have wind blowing in due to height no wind restrictions.

Reactions: hawgeye

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Nu Way vented propane, or wood. I have several Nu Way propane, only way I’d go. Nice even heat and you’re not breathing carbon monoxide all day.
Just installed nu way and a little Leary that it ll heat enough. Do you have a damper in yours for mor heat

·
Registered
35,285 Posts
I have 3 Nuway propane stoves. They work good. I’m sure their wood fired stove would provide more than enough heat. You will not need anything real big if you insulate.

I’ll be installing one tomorrow on a new 5’x6’ blind.

·
Premium Member
9,492 Posts
I think a wood burner would run you and the boys out of an 8'x12' shed. Also, the clearances would be a challenge as the firefighter said. Something designed to mount on the wall would be a better choice IMHO. Just be sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm with children involved. Set's a good example for them as well. Always be safe.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts

Cheap 1-2 years on a 20 lb tank hunt in short sleeves no matter the outside temps. lunch always nice and hot so is the coffee !
Love the dual purpose aspect. I made my heater from a Turkey fryer burner and a steel box.

·
Premium Member
9,492 Posts

Cheap 1-2 years on a 20 lb tank hunt in short sleeves no matter the outside temps. lunch always nice and hot so is the coffee !
Love the dual purpose aspect. I made my heater from a Turkey fryer burner and a steel box.
How do you guys ensure the CO is ventilated out? Understanding of course it tends to be heavier than air and if allowed to linger will settle on the lower areas.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
My blind is pretty drafty.plus on low I still need to crack the door.Otherwise it gets too hot.
How do you guys ensure the CO is ventilated out? Understanding of course it tends to be heavier than air and if allowed to linger will settle on the lower areas.

Reactions: miruss

·
Premium Member
9,492 Posts
My blind is pretty drafty.plus on low I still need to crack the door.Otherwise it gets too hot.
Those open flame appliances should be under a venting hood when used indoors. Think of the flue for your water heater where the heat carrys the carbon monoxide up and out. Besides, I think cooking chili or soup will scare the deer away.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
CO is actually lighter than air, although they're so close in weight you could assume it'll spread evenly around the room.

You'll need to make sure you have a fresh air intake down low and an exhaust up high, based on the fact that heat rises.

Number one thing is to have a battery powered CO monitor in any closed blind where a heater is running.

Folks even succumb to CO poisoning in portable shanties.

·
Registered
18,284 Posts
If I may ...
Do not put your L.P. tank in the blind.
The one pounders need respect while used indoors , but a 10/20 ect. pounder you do not want to see the relief valve blow on ,regardless of the odds.
You'll see a big flash while blowing up , maybe. Maybe for the last time too...
I've had them go off when refilling them for a living. Would not want to see one blow where ignited. You won't outrun them..

The o.p. is wood burner.
A stove needs to match the footage. And be installed with proper clearance and stack .
Air can be piped in to feed it too. Unless windows are kept shut most will breath fine.
A slow air exchange is never a bad thing though. Vents can be used with movable covers if the windows are kept closed usually.
Moisture can be controlled better with mild air exchange too.
To big a stove needs run throttled down an won't burn creosote effectively due to low a final burn temp..Short term that's not so bad , but creosote is fuel. Once ignited it is hard to stop.
Keep the smoke stack pipe at the stove going inside the stove. Not outside the collar it should go through. Pipe section joints , use gravity and pipe inside pipe to control falling creosote.
That puts water and creosote in the stove...Not on top of it.
How about the roof?
A NewWay wood burner I've not tried , but understand they need feeding often. Fine by me.
Have built a big stove , and an ammo can stove build tempts...But NeWay seems a good durable well engineered build.
But any stove needs to be well constructed and learned well before blind time.

I run a catalytic in a 4x4 blind.
It suits the purpose and is portable.

A NewWay propane is on standby when a bigger perm makes it to my site. Delays,delays.

·
Registered
18,284 Posts
Those open flame appliances should be under a venting hood when used indoors. Think of the flue for your water heater where the heat carrys the carbon monoxide up and out. Besides, I think cooking chili or soup will scare the deer away.
A friend was heating chili on his truck tailgate midday.
Deer arrived for some reason.. He dropped one. Then resumed chili. L.o.l..

Another friend toasts brats on his blinds heater. Has been interrupted by deer too...

I tried toasting vienna sausages on my catalytic heater. Damned plastic fork got soggy from heat and slowed things down.
Hard to watch for the approaching deer stampede and not touch the heater with a sausage.
I must have missed the deer race through , about the time I touched my wrist on the heater....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts