Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished East GTB this morning. Marked quite a few fish in the lower 15 ft of the water column, anywhere from 45-110 FOW. I was trolling for lakers, but brought up a smallmouth on a magnum spoon 80 ft down! Stopped to jig some of the marks, and brought up a second smallmouth on an Elk Rapids jig tipped with minnow, near the bottom in 65 FOW. I don't fish for smallmouth and consequently don't know much about them. I have never caught one so deep. Is this unusual?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am out there every weekend have not caught one smallie yet, I am still getting salmon, Lakers and Sisco. I have to say it's been a good year. I am going to try and fish to the end of October. Fishing on average around 135ft of water

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keith - I frequenty get smallmouth near the surface in 30 FOW around deepwater point, but never on big tackle or this deep. I have gotten a few cisco by accident when trolling or jigging for salmon or lakers. How do you target cisco?

·
Registered
4 Posts
To get Sisco I use a smaller white spoon in about 100ft of water and pull my downriggers up 60ft or 70ft. They are feeding on minnows.
They are great smoked! See you on the bay! Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts