Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
HOW WOULD YOU RUN A DEEPWATER WALLEYE PROGRAM?
There are as many ways to run deep as there are shoe sizes.
But if you were to K.I.S.S. a program set for just wally what best ideas would you apply?
Let’s say six rod set -up .best ideas? Just food for though.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I can easily run a deep water program with my rig. I have 4 riggers that I use Black's releases on and the Light Bite Slide Divers rigged fixed.

I get enough fish in the under 40 FOW with 2 oz and 3 oz weights that I seldom need to go deep.:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
We use the Cold water fish approach, Leadcore, snap weights and downriggers. Lately we have been using Blood Run copper wire getting us down 70' in 100+ and spoons. Eastern Basin Lake Erie, they run a full core of lead (10 colors) and a 3oz snap weight on the lead. Then they run stick baits or tandem willow leaf spinners. Speeds can be higher, up to 3mph with 2 being the most common.

It is a lot of searching and being surprised by the occasional salmon, steelie or laker.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frank is a Black's relese the same design as a chamberlan? and is a lite slide divers the same as what I'm thinking as a slider? which centers itself on the bow of another line.at a fixed point.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
My dad and i have been fishing deep water all summer. I guess it depends on where in the column your finding fish. We have fished over 40 fow to 60 fow pretty regular the last month and a half but finding catchable fish only 15 to 30 foot down. Those fish we run 2 oz inlines with crawler harnesses or 3 color lead core. I have been picking away at deep suspended fish with tots 120 foot back which only get down maybe 13 to 15 feet. Deep huskey jerks 170 back been working well. If fishing really deep down i got riggers with soft releases and i found if i leave the the pole not reeled down so tight on the ball like salmon fishing i can detect bites easier. I also got a bunch of 3 oz inlines that i run crawlers or cranks off. I will run cranks ( shallow divers or deep divers) off the 3 color lead too. I havent found much reason to fish baits down below 40 fow yet. I am a strong believer in the high fish are more active and those are my targets. I never tried pulling a crawler through the mud yet at 50 to 100 fow yet. Probably some big eyes on bottom but i havent had a need to go that deep yet.

·
Premium Member
29,944 Posts
Good luck Tom, just use bigger snapweights if your using harnesses. An 8 oz. snap weight will get you down about 40' with only 50 to 60' of line out, how deep you going? Not like your fishing eyes for the fight anyway. But forget those eyes until fall, its time to go get perchin!:D Might be available one day next week if you want to give it a shot for either or both.:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
My dad and i have been fishing deep water all summer. I guess it depends on where in the column your finding fish. We have fished over 40 fow to 60 fow pretty regular the last month and a half but finding catchable fish only 15 to 30 foot down. Those fish we run 2 oz inlines with crawler harnesses or 3 color lead core. I have been picking away at deep suspended fish with tots 120 foot back which only get down maybe 13 to 15 feet. Deep huskey jerks 170 back been working well. If fishing really deep down i got riggers with soft releases and i found if i leave the the pole not reeled down so tight on the ball like salmon fishing i can detect bites easier. I also got a bunch of 3 oz inlines that i run crawlers or cranks off. I will run cranks ( shallow divers or deep divers) off the 3 color lead too. I havent found much reason to fish baits down below 40 fow yet. I am a strong believer in the high fish are more active and those are my targets. I never tried pulling a crawler through the mud yet at 50 to 100 fow yet. Probably some big eyes on bottom but i havent had a need to go that deep yet.
That is where the Off Shore release shines, with the cable it comes with you can see the rod bounce, unlike using a release that is fixed to the ball. I have even added a 12" wire leader to the standard length for even more movement on the rod. Also, I like the 50-50 snap weight using 1 to 1.5 Oz and let it search the water column more than a straight inline will. It is a whole new fishery out there for us, but E Erie has been doing it for years.

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Frank is a Black's relese the same design as a chamberlan? and is a lite slide divers the same as what I'm thinking as a slider? which centers itself on the bow of another line.at a fixed point.
A Blacks release has the same wire hook as the Chamberlain, but it doesn't have the magnetic release. It simply unsnaps the same way a dipsey release does. CDAD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts