Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how many fellow coyote and fox hunters have done this?......when the snow gets deep and the coyotes and fox are having a rough time moving about I do this little trick which really helps out the night hunts...During the day I go to the areas I varmit hunt at night and drive a snowmobile around the downwind edges of the swamps, swales and fence rows I hunt in...basically creating little varmit alleys and higways using the packed snowmobile paths.....I come back in a few days and set up hunting these area at night calling....Especially fox they like to run on these trails when the snow is deep...Im sure most of our seasoned varmit hunters have noticed how they like to run on the trails and creek beds when the snow gets deep, who could blame them...Just wondered how many other guys sweeten up there spots like this, and thought I would pass the tip on if you havent....;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
great idea, snowshoes should do the trick if you do not have a snowmobile. hey maybe next year I will pull my little gilrs around my hunting spots in their sled a day or two before i hunt, good idea.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
All my leg holds are set while i sit on the snow machine. And when I'm checking my snares I try to get as close to the thru the fence sets as I can.
Works every time!;)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I am looking for some coyote snaring advice. I put out some coyote snares a week ago. I am in open farm country. I set the traps in the open fields and lanes, where they walk. They are traveling my truck tracks. I have these snares set out in the open, with 12" loops, 12" off the ground. I have not been able to get a coyote yet. The snow blows everyday, so I am unable to see tracks, to see what is going on. What are the chances that they are avoiding the snares? The wire supports, were ordered from a trap supply house. They are thicker wires than I used in the past. These wire are also rust colored. They don't blend in like the metal colored wire. Could this be alerting them to my sets? What about scent, I walk to within 20 yards of my sets with rubber boots.

When I trap with leghold traps, I am very cautious. I didn't think you need to with blind setting snares.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts