Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to turkey hunting and would like to know what the best decoys might be or if any are needed at all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Try the heavy rubber carry lite brand. They have good color and dont fall apart after numerous times of folding to load in a vest or back pack.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a Delta feeding position hen that has out produced the "alert style foam"dekes 5 to 1. So many times I have had birds hang up with using the traditional heads up style decoys and couldnt figure out why they got leery and hung up well beyond range. But if you look at 90% of the decoys available they all have there heads up looking very alert. Alot of people use them with some success but any bird that comes to a heads up hen will come to a feeding hen also. Keep in mind also that if you hunt the late season many birds get decoy shy from seeing them all season. So when I call for buddies later in the year I hunt the thicker cover and leave the dekes at home.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
When using hen decoys remember to put 'em pretty low to the ground. Like thornapple said, allert isn't a good thing. Hens will stand a little more upright when allert. Both in the head and legs.
I use the more rigid foam/rubber decoys as well. IIRC its a Delta as well. I bought a jake and a hen. Unfortunately the jake didn't have a beard. There is little to no difference between them without it. I made a makeshift beard to attach to it this year out of some very thin cut leather.
Gander Mountain has a wide selection of dec's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all!

I think this will help allot. I am going to check out the different decoys you all talked about. It makes allot of sense about the birds being alert.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts