Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
opinions on what would be the set up for me i have a couple dozen shells and about 14 full bodies. i have always just set them up in little family groups but not to separated any way i should form the goupe or what i will be hunting alone most of the early season as well as most of the waterfowl season so im always open to trying new things that might help me out and if anyone is looking for another hunting buddy or would want to extend an invite to hunt with them that would be grate cause hunting with good guys is always better than hunting alone

any help would be appreciated

thanks Nick

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Would set the FB's one group to the left and one to the right about 20yds downwind of the blind and maybe a couple near the blind to break up the outline of the blind. If ya feel ya need more decoys ya can then set the shells in loose groups upwind of your blind. The idea is to have your best decoys where ya want em to land.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright sounds good i'll give that a try on todays hunt thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im over on the west side of the state by the muskegon area

·
Registered
721 Posts
Might sound strange coming from "more decoys still isn't enough" 1fish, but honestly, I'd just run the full bodies. 14 isn't a ton, but it's still a respectable number. Every year it becomes clearer and clearer to me that fewer high quality decoys is better than more moderate quality decoys.

The flocks I hunt at least are PhD's in picking out the slightest thing that isn't quite right from about 80yards away. We have tons of older bigfoots w/out flocked heads, silos, shells, etc and since we started leaving all of them home and only going with full bodies, even though we can more than triple our spread by using the others, our percentage of "finishing" birds has skyrocketed over the past 5 years or so. I know that there are those that will disagree, but I'm positive that they can pick out shells and silos from a mile away and avoid the whole situation.

Just something to consider!

But if it was me I'd run one group of 6 full bodies around the blind(s) and then put groups of 4 on the out sides and downwind of the blinds with about 15-20 yard lanes in between all 3 groups.

If you do feel so inclined to use the shells put them in a couple groups to the rear and upwind of the blinds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts