Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,111 Posts
As far as initial construction I agree. But if you properly install the pavers the only upkeep for the next 25 years is hitting it with a leaf blower.
I did a 60'x3' paver walkway a couple years ago.... there isn't enough upkeep on a deck to trump that initial construction IMO.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
8x10 isn't big enough. You'll be disappointed.
I'd bet your bathroom is bigger than that.

Reactions: KJC

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I just built a 16x24 deck, 28" from grade to meet rear sliding doorwall, in summer 2020. All treated framing lumber and cedar deckboard + fascia. I did all the labor myself. I just put all the numbers into a spreadsheet so I could see total, final cost. This cost includes all lumber, fasteners, hangers, vinyl, and concrete.

TOTAL: $5744.29

This is a fairly accurate 'all-in' cost i'd say +/- $250.00 or so for incidentals like handtools and drill bits and the like. I bought a couple big tools but those were charged and not paid for with cash.

The cedar was $1.65 a lineal foot. In June 2020 I was quoted for 5/4 treated deckboards at $.90 ln. ft. Of course the footage of the deckboards is only a fraction of the true cost. Treated wasn't astronomical yet. I believe it's now over $1/ln.ft.

I'd estimate a 10x8 or even a little larger to be about half of what I spent if you plan on doing it yourself. Add a grand or more if you are contracting the work out. More if you are permitting. So $2500-$3500 would be my really rough ballpark.

You mentioned something about it being 'temporary'... IMO... just do it right the first time. If a small deck isn't what you want then just save up until you can afford what you really want. What do they say? Nothing more permanent than a temporary solution?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Oh I also rented a 2 man earth auger for $100 for the day. Don't forget any equipment rental costs for machinery you don't own and will need.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Ive never done a deck before and I built a 2 tier deck with railings and everything. It was easier then I thought and ended up looking pretty good. If you only want a small deck then you wont have to auger much or you can get the stone pillars to put your posts in so you dont have to dig. Its really not that hard, watch some youtube videos. There are websites that will make blueprints and an entire list of materials you just have to buy the stuff and assemble it. Otherwise pouring a cement pad is the way to go IMO and my next house will be a pad not a wooden deck.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I just looked at my spread sheet when I replaced our 12x12 with a full set of stairs, railing I used 4x4 post, 2x6 on top with a 2x4 for support and stainless steel parallel 1/8 wire for the the railing every 3.75", composite decking, composite for the stairs and cladding, I didn't need to replace the support pillars in the ground and the other side bolted to the house. Material cost including fasteners and tax $2038.20 all purchased pre-covid. Today the composite and fasteners are the same price but all treated material is 2 - 2.5X more.

If OP really wants a temp 2 year deal start looking for reclaimed wood I have a bunch I would give away but now have a project for it next summer

·
Registered
9,516 Posts
I built a 20x40 deck from scratch. At a different house, I rebuilt a 20x20 brick paver patio with crushed stone base and screeded sand setting bed. Very similar amount of work/effort. I know the deck is still standing, 16 years later. I sold the house where I rebuilt the patio, but I expect it to be long lived.

Having built or rebuilt both types, I would probably go with a paver patio, or a concrete slab patio.

·
Registered
17,393 Posts
I did a flag stone landing two springs ago and took my time and did it right. Nary a stone has moved. It's in front of our house and totally revamped the whole entrance.

It was $1200 and about 60 hours labor for 225 square feet. The labor could have been less but I back cut and cold chiseled each stone to have less than 1/4" gaps. Some of that was fixed cost as in compactor rental and delivery charges. The rest should scale accordingly.

Would be a cheaper, better looking, and less maintenance option, although you'd have the steps to deal with.

It's documented in the homestead sub forum here circa spring 2019.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Wood decks are losing favor, especially in new construction. Pavers or raised aggregate concrete are popular now. Stamped concrete not so much. High cost and our winters play hell on them.
While we are on the subject of decks lets talk about wood protection and stain.
I have had decks forever and still have a 12x12 wood deck adjacent to the concrete patio I had poured.
I have tried all kinds of stain and wood treatment over the years and they all perform about the same. Re treat all horizontal surfaces about every 3 years and vertical maybe 5 years.
I have (had) found a magic coating that is superb. It's called Gaco Shield and I was told NASA uses it. It like hardens and has a rubbery feel. Pricey about 75.00 and that was 6 years ago. Texture of malted milk and goes on smoothly. The horizontal surface is just like new, no blistering or peeling....just a wonderful product.
About 2 years ago I go the the lumber yard to buy more. The guys tell me that one day the company just came in and wanted all the inventory back. Didn't give a reason, paid retail price and left.
Something smells funny, I haven't grown another eye ball YET. Can't find the stuff anywhere.
Best product I ever used, nothing else even comes close.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Built an 18x18 about a year and a half ago, ended up close to $4000 in materials. Regular treated deck boards, vinyl railings, nothing too fancy. Did all the labor myself. Keep in mind treated lumber in particular is still through the roof in price. Easing back down though. IMO, you will be sorely disappointed with that size deck. 8 feet is barely enough room to put a patio set and actually slide the chairs in and out to use it. The one I tore off and replaced was 10x14, and that was dinky. Something to think about.

Finished project.
20200203_163151.jpg

20200203_163234.jpg

And with the patio set, complete with light-up umbrella. Perfect for an after hours bourbon and cigar on a nice summer evening.
20200519_213051.jpg

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
While we are on the subject of decks lets talk about wood protection and stain.
I have had decks forever and still have a 12x12 wood deck adjacent to the concrete patio I had poured.
I have tried all kinds of stain and wood treatment over the years and they all perform about the same. Re treat all horizontal surfaces about every 3 years and vertical maybe 5 years.
I have (had) found a magic coating that is superb. It's called Gaco Shield and I was told NASA uses it. It like hardens and has a rubbery feel. Pricey about 75.00 and that was 6 years ago. Texture of malted milk and goes on smoothly. The horizontal surface is just like new, no blistering or peeling....just a wonderful product.
About 2 years ago I go the the lumber yard to buy more. The guys tell me that one day the company just came in and wanted all the inventory back. Didn't give a reason, paid retail price and left.
Something smells funny, I haven't grown another eye ball YET. Can't find the stuff anywhere.
Best product I ever used, nothing else even comes close.
GacoDeck at lowes.com ?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Built an 18x18 about a year and a half ago, ended up close to $4000 in materials. Regular treated deck boards, vinyl railings, nothing too fancy. Did all the labor myself. Keep in mind treated lumber in particular is still through the roof in price. Easing back down though. IMO, you will be sorely disappointed with that size deck. 8 feet is barely enough room to put a patio set and actually slide the chairs in and out to use it. The one I tore off and replaced was 10x14, and that was dinky. Something to think about.

Finished project.
View attachment 636365
View attachment 636367

And with the patio set, complete with light-up umbrella. Perfect for an after hours bourbon and cigar on a nice summer evening.
View attachment 636369
Beautiful! Quality work, nice design.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Ive never done a deck before and I built a 2 tier deck with railings and everything. It was easier then I thought and ended up looking pretty good. If you only want a small deck then you wont have to auger much or you can get the stone pillars to put your posts in so you dont have to dig. Its really not that hard, watch some youtube videos. There are websites that will make blueprints and an entire list of materials you just have to buy the stuff and assemble it. Otherwise pouring a cement pad is the way to go IMO and my next house will be a pad not a wooden deck.
While it has a been a couple of years since I have built a deck, (Did it for a living, with somewhere around 2500 decks under my belt, retired now) code calls for a concrete footing, or a concrete cookie 42" deep to set the posts on. Doesn't matter what size deck.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Beautiful! Quality work, nice design.
Thank you sir. I had seen pictures of vertical board skirting as opposed to lattice, and loved it. Large enough gaps for adequate airflow and you're good to go. I came from a construction family, so can build just about anything if given enough time haha.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts