Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a getting a deck built at our new house the back door leads to. Any guesses on how much a 10x8 foot deck would be. We don't want anything big, just big enough for a table and chairs. I know some will say do it yourself but I really don't want to lol l. Also we are not looking for anything fancy

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
missing a lot of info but materials just for the decking, joist and fasteners ~$300. Are there steps, how would be connected to the ground all extra, if you figure out the cost of material I think x3 should be close to have it installed but being that small may be x4.5

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Our back door is about three feet off the ground. Would want a couple stairs. We are just looking for a inexpensive route. We are purchasing a house and towards the higher end of our budget. After a couple years we would want something better but for now something small will have to do

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looking at a getting a deck built at our new house the back door leads to. Any guesses on how much a 10x8 foot deck would be. We don't want anything big, just big enough for a table and chairs. I know some will say do it yourself but I really don't want to lol l. Also we are not looking for anything fancy
I haven't been in the business for awhile but I think $5 a square foot for just all treated is a good starting point for material cost. Usually double the material cost and it should be close to the total cost.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
As high as lumber costs are these days I'd wait unless I was really flush with cash.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was close, I did a quick take off, based on the deck being 8' wide and 10' out for the house. Attached to house with no railing or stairs I come up with about $575 in material. I would say this is about a $1,200 deck.

All treated wood
8 - 2x10x10' - $17.64
5 - 2x10x8' - $14.70
22 - 5/4x6x8' - $8.97
3 - 4x4x8' - $14.67
hangers/fasteners - $100
footing blocks - $20

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Skip the deck and put down pavers for a patio since it sounds like it's only temporary. Buy preformed concrete steps. Much cheaper, I know you don't want to do it your self but it's pretty simple. Put the deck you want on it down the road. If you go with a 10x8 deck you'll wish you had gone bigger.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I was close, I did a quick take off, based on the deck being 8' wide and 10' out for the house. Attached to house with no railing or stairs I come up with about $575 in material. I would say this is about a $1,200 deck.

All treated wood
8 - 2x10x10' - $17.64
5 - 2x10x8' - $14.70
22 - 5/4x6x8' - $8.97
3 - 4x4x8' - $14.67
hangers/fasteners - $100
footing blocks - $20
I'd only change/add a couple of things.

Drop the 3 4x4's and go with 5 4x4x12' and a two 4x4x8' with one in each corner which should give him enough height for railing. Add the fifth 12 footer and the two 8' posts for the stairs and railing. Then add enough 2x4's railings

Extra cost, but a lot safer than walking or slipping off.

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
I have a similar size and went with composite instead of treated. Never have to mess with stain. Very easy to clean. Whole thing was around 2k if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Skip the deck and put down pavers for a patio since it sounds like it's only temporary. Buy preformed concrete steps. Much cheaper, I know you don't want to do it your self but it's pretty simple. Put the deck you want on it down the road. If you go with a 10x8 deck you'll wish you had gone bigger.
Wood decks are losing favor, especially in new construction. Pavers or raised aggregate concrete are popular now. Stamped concrete not so much. High cost and our winters play hell on them.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A 10×8?
I have a similar size and went with composite instead of treated. Never have to mess with stain. Very easy to clean. Whole thing was around 2k if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Wood decks are losing favor, especially in new construction. Pavers or raised aggregate concrete are popular now. Stamped concrete not so much. High cost and our winters play hell on them.
I am undecided between the two for my spring project. Planned on a deck last fall but pushed it off. I have a similar set up to the OP except there is already a very small deck and steps. That'll come out but what goes in has yet to be determined. I am a fan of wood deck though.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I am undecided between the two for my spring project. Planned on a deck last fall but pushed it off. I have a similar set up to the OP except there is already a very small deck and steps. That'll come out but what goes in has yet to be determined. I am a fan of wood deck though.
I had installed a 12/25 exposed aggregate patio and love it. No maintenance, looks great. Be careful on composite decking, no 2 are the same. Joist spacing is different. Care needs to be taken when power washing. May look good for a few years, most are made from wood and some other ingredients. If you go composite use Azek, no wood, much more rigid but pricey.

·
Premium Member
28,150 Posts
I'd rather build a deck than dig, compact gravel, and lay pavers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts