Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out yesterday am (7/7) out of Sterling. Two buddies and myself caught 40 or so perch, ranged from 6"-10" in a few hours. Wasn't much of a frenzy, slow and steady really.

Headed South nearly into Ohio water (could have been in Ohio, but I'm fairly sure I was not) about 5-7 miles south of the rasin river channel we came upon another shipping channel I think very likely leads to the Maumee. We anchored in about 28 fow next to a white cement pillar with a green band 3/4 of the way up. This was the next pillar in heading from what I'm pretty sure is known as "sputnick". Probably should have taken a picture of it, but well, I didn't think of that.
Does this spot have a name? One buddy thought it might be "McDonalds" but didn't seem real sure.
Hope this description helps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
That location, McDonalds it seems, was the only place we caught fish. We stopped once on our way there, about 1 mile west of McDonalds in 22-23fow in a group of other boats but didn't get anything.
Ryan

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Comparing maps and charts, it looks very much like the Maumee shipping channel I was fishing in may be the boarder between Mi. and Oh. water. If it's not, it's VERY close.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Comparing maps and charts, it looks very much like the Maumee shipping channel I was fishing in may be the boarder between Mi. and Oh. water. If it's not, it's VERY close.
If its the can I am thinking of you were definitely fishing in Ohio waters. To save yourself the aggravation you should consider getting an Ohio Fishing license if your going to return to that location. ;)

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
If you don't have a ohio license you might want to think about getting one. Alot of people are mistaken when they think that the shipping channel is the border.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You were at the McDonald bouy and were about 4 miles southeast of the border into Ohio. The Ohio line goes through the middle of Turtle Island on a due northeast (45 degree) heading.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so better get an Ohio license. Unfortunately, my GPS does not have state boundaries. It's a piece of my equipment I'd like to upgrade, but will have to happen in time when my budget allows.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Ryan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get the Ohio License. Better safe than sorry, it might save you lots of money in the future..... Just like all the other guys, I think you were in Ohio too.

My Lowrance doesn't show the state line in certain areas but my Driod phone has Google Maps with the line clearly defined and that pin points me on the water.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, so we can consider this matter closed, I finally found a chart that showed both navigation aids, and the state line. I was most certainly in Ohio. I was also at the 2nd to farthest out bouy/pillar of the Maumee river channel, commonly known as McDonalds, for reasons I'm unsure of.
At least I caught some fish, and didn't get caught myself...And now I know.
Thanks one last time for all the input, it helped.
Ryan

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have a smart phone ie.droid.. this might help. I down loaded mx mariner app. Cost 10 bucks for the app. It has helped me a lot.I can mark hot spots and drive right back to the same spot.. has marine charts with depths.and it will tell you your way point.. after you mark a spot. It has helped me a lot..good luck..and yea you found one of my hot spots...lol

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Ryan, don't sweat it. Oddly enough an out of state annual for Ohio is relatively cheap considering they have most of the good fishing. We hit those spots many weekends aug/sept.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts