Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I want to get back out and do some trolling before hitting the D.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I am with you Doublejay. Remember the days are growing longer and therefore less time during cold nights to form ice. The sun is the biggest enemy of the ice.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I remember years ago when Brest Bay would freeze and be fishable. It was fantastic fishing! Brest Bay marina would be full of fishermans vehicles.

Where there was open water out by Stoney Pt the ice would stack up from the waves and would make a pile so huge it would look like a mountain of ice 3 miles out

Was pretty cool. No cell phones then to take pics with or I would post one!

·
Premium Member
6,411 Posts
I remember years ago when Brest Bay would freeze and be fishable. It was fantastic fishing! Brest Bay marina would be full of fishermans vehicles.

Where there was open water out by Stoney Pt the ice would stack up from the waves and would make a pile so huge it would look like a mountain of ice 3 miles out

Was pretty cool. No cell phones then to take pics with or I would post one!
But no eyes it was mainly perch, was driving in my old mans truck out there every wknd when I was a kid.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
long time ago it was perch...that's when the ice was so thick people just drove their vehicles out there...more recently it was eyes and it was very good untill the masses found out about it...so many out there it just drove the fish out of the bay...out pass the point where the ice was unsafe and the open water.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yeah thats what I remember. Probably 1992-3 or so for the walleye? Hard to remember for sure

1 - 15 of 15 Posts