Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do the smoke pole aficionado's recommend as a good gun for a first timer?

I don't want to spend a ton. (under $300, and yes i know you get what you paid for, but there are a ton of guns available for under this price)

Ease of cleaning.

Accuracy (obviously)

And any other points that I should know about. I really am new to this, so feel free to let me know if there are more important things that I should be looking at.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hard to beat a used Omega, lots aroung for that kind of cash. If I were to do it again I would get the Savage and run smokeless powder though..

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
TC, CVA and Traditions all have ML that are priced in your range. Look around and see what you like then check with Bass Pro, Gander Mountain and even Sportsmens Guide have good prices. I have many of these and they all shoot a little differently but give good accuracy out to 100 yards. I own 45 to 58 cal and no matter what you buy they all need work to keep in like new condition. I would look to stay with 50 cal if you are looking for an all around caliper. My newest is the Traditions inline with the Nikon Omega scope and it is a tack driver at 100 yards with little range time.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Muzzleloaders (regardless of the price) are a little differnt breed of gun. Not so much today's inline models, but they all still require more maintenance than modern rifles. The more time you spend breaking them in properly and taking care of them, the better they will perform for you.

CVA and Thompson Center seem to have a pretty good grasp on the market in that price range. However, the Traditions line (though a little less popular that CVA & T/C) is what I would choose. Those rifles just pull up and fit much better for me. Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have a CVA wolf that shoots very well for the money I spent. I put a scope on it and it holds a pretty nice group out to 100 yards. I think the rifle was about $200 and I spent about $100 for the scope...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I have a CVA Mag. hunter...bought it 3 years ago and it has worked flawlessly..Paid $150 for it at Gander...Because your new to the sport I have only 3 words of advise for you about a muzzle loader...CLEAN,CLEAN,CLEAN....:D

·
Registered
36,329 Posts
See if you can find a Knight Disc Elite; you won't be sorry. With the right bullet/sabot and powder combo it can shoot near a moa. I have a 50 and 45 cal that will shoot less than a moa if I'm doing my part. Knight has gone out of business but there are new rifles still out there. Knight customer service is still open for business.

The modern muzzleloader site has a classified section where I still see NIB rifles for sale from time to time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts