Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy and I got his 11 month old lab out for his second goose hunt ever. We downed 4 birds to get the dog some work. First 3 geese fell and the dog had issues with grabbing and carrying the geese. The bird on the left was used as a training bumper extensively during the downtime and now Zeiss is a pro at carrying the big birds!

9/13 evening we shot our first goose of the season. It was Zeiss's first goose retrieve as well. The bird had a little jewelry on his leg. Pretty awesome sight!

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Feels good to know I'm not alone! First time out for my 2 year old chocolate too. Had some difficulty with the shotgun blast and she wouldn't grab the bird if it was still moving. I think she has started to figure it out. She retrieved both birds the second run. I guess I got more work to do than I thought :( Congrats on the band!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buddy got lucky, the first goose zeiss went to retrieve was a cripple. He bolted after it and ran it down no problem. Not gun shy or big wounded bird shy. Keep at it these dogs are smarter than we think!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Haha! I agree. Last week she wouldn't pick it up so I went and stood next to it, and she looked at me like, "you pick it
up stupid!" Sunday was much better. Haha. A little progress every time is progress nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Young dogs often have issues with geese. If you can have an older dog show them it Should speed things up. Put a little competition in it. I have a whole goose in the freezer to work with my 4.5 month old pup. My 7 year old will teach her for me once she gets a little bigger. He will carry those things around all day

·
Registered
231 Posts
Young dogs often have issues with geese. If you can have an older dog show them it Should speed things up. Put a little competition in it. I have a whole goose in the freezer to work with my 4.5 month old pup. My 7 year old will teach her for me once she gets a little bigger. He will carry those things around all day
I have a frozen mallard but didn't think about doing the same with a goose. And now that you got me thinking....did you want me to get divorced? As they say, easier to get forgiveness than it is permission. Thanks Buck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Lol. My 15 month old pup just retrieved her first goose on the water on the 10th. It was her first real hunt. She brought it right back by the wing. She had a hard time dragging it up on land to me. It was the biggest goose I have ever shot! She only weighs 43 lbs and the bird looked bigger than her. My wife just asked me why I need 6 huge mallards taking room in the freezer! Lol

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
My 1 year old lab had his first retrieve this past weekend. It was a huge honker, and he dragged it in by the wing tip haha.

Reactions: BucksandDucks
1 - 9 of 9 Posts