Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading about the young lady in Canada who was reportedly killed by a pack of coyotes, I decided it may not be a bad idea to carry my pistol when bowhunting since I have a CPL. I understand that it is illegal to "take game" or attempt to take game with the pistol while archery hunting.

I was first challenged by one of our hunting camp members that I was illegal to be carrying while bowhunting. While I knew I was clearly legal with my CPL, he suggested that if I were to be threatened by a pack of coyotes or a bear or any other game animal and used my pistol to to defend myself I would be breaking the law.

What would be the legal stance of a CO on a situation such as this?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
After reading about the young lady in Canada who was reportedly killed by a pack of coyotes, I decided it may not be a bad idea to carry my pistol when bowhunting since I have a CPL. I understand that it illegal to "take game" or attempt to take game with the pistol while archery hunting.

I was first challenged by one of our hunting camp members that I was illegal to be carrying while bowhunting. While I knew I was clearly legal with my CPL, he suggested that if I were to be threatened by a pack of coyotes or a bear or any other game animal and used my pistol to to defend myself I would be breaking the law.

What would be the legal stance of a CO on a situation such as this?
Every situation/case would be judged on it's own merits.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here in the Upper Peninsula we have way too many wolves and we do have cougers around where I live. I always carry a handgun when I am in the woods including archery hunting. I do have a CLP and I realize the likelyhood of an attack is low but I don't want to be the exception that gets attack. I am too old and to crippled up to out run any animal!

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Every situation/case would be judged on it's own merits.
I agree with Deadshort. Guys carry guns to protect themselves against wolves up here. While I have never heard of wolves attacking a hunter in this county, nobody has shot them and claimed "self defense" either. Antime you kill a animal illegally, you will be investigated and the court system will decide if you were justified in the shooting.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your responses. My camp buddy insisted it would be up to the CO to interpret my intentions and I argued that it would effectively be resolved, if necessary, in a court of law. However he did point out that it would be at my expense to defend myself in court.

With that being said, I certainly hope I never have to do anything in self defense whether it be in the woods on the road or at home. However, the possibility remains which is why I sought the CPL to begin with.

Finally, if I felt I threatened in the woods, I would certainly use deadly force if necessary, but I highly doubt I'd run off and find a CO or LEO to tell them about it.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I always carry mine. as you said, as long as you are not using it to take or attemt to take game it is legal. . same as shining(before november) . .im sure there wouldnt be much of an issue though if you HADd to us it. . i mean YOU are going to know whether you feel threatened or not. . its not only good to have for animals, but there are some people out there who ust shouldnt be carrying a bow or rifle/shotgun. . .

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
As far as a CO is concerned
You better have signs of an attack or struggle to warrant killing a so called attacking animal unless your sure it rabid.
Simply shooting them cause you scared won't fly.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
In that sense, then if a couple coyotes are slowly coming at me 20 yards away growling at me. . . i better wait for them to jump on me and bite me before i shot. . . .

think not. . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts