Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your guys preference when tip-up fishing for pike.......Like shiners/suckers or dead smelt with a swedish hook.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I dont think pike are fussy about what kind of minnow you use. I buy suckers and goldens in the six inch or so range, and prefer a treble hook.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
We use golden shiners and suckers, seem to have a little better luck on the goldens. My son caught a 33" 10lb last weekend. I used to fish dead smelt under a float during spring for pike, season was closed all catch and release. I think alot of guys have good sucess using them with a tip-up, they really milk out and leave a scent trail. Hope this helps you out.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i ran out of smelt this weekend so i used suckers and i ended up gettin 2 28's and a few hammerhandles.

·
Registered
384 Posts
i use dead smelt and possibly golden shiners (if i can find them). sometimes i use the swedish hook but prefer a treble with a stinger in the tail. i put a finishing nail in the stomach to keep it upright and sometimes leave them out overnite to get a bit ripe.

·
Super Moderator
6,917 Posts
i will use golden shiners over all other baits if i can find then. i like em between 4-6 inches. i have also used dead smelt in the past with good results. i will soak them overnight in the oil from sardines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts