Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been part of a growing number of conservationists and sportsmen who would rather see the Dead River left alone, and recover as a cold water fishery. There are plethora of reasons, so I won't rant here because most of you have read both sides of the story on this site before. However, I would urge you all to attend the next BLP meeting on November 10, 2009 at 5:30 at 2200 Wright Street at their main office. A few of us are planning on attending to voice our opposition. We would like to see many more come so that we can make a statement.

Look, we all know how many times they've waffled on the decision to rebuild, and further, we all know how economically insufficient the dam would be (revenue of only $58,000 over 30 years, meanwhile rising costs of dam maintenence and rates for customers to pay for construction). We need to keep the pressure on NOW before construction begins in the spring. It may be the 11th hour, but that's just when the good gets going on most of these issues.

The BLP has to be the primary focus for complaints. Ultimately, they are the ones commissioned to make cost benefit decisions on power production. And as executive director of the BLP once said "this dam would be a negative investment for the BLP." Then of course, we all know how the city commission kept offering tax waivers to convince the BLP to rebuild.

So, PLEASE, don't be another armchair conservationist or sportsman. Back up your bickering and complaining and speak out. That's what I do, and nothing gives you more of a rush, than utilizing your American right to have a say and tell your elected officials what you think should be done. They have to hear you out, so speak up. Can I count on anyone coming with me?

·
Registered
32 Posts
From what I understand, it is a little late to make a change. My thought is trying to redirect the pressure and see if TU or any other governmental (or private) group has funds available to pay for a trout ladder since the BLP says they will build this upcoming spring and they aren't adding the ladder since it is too expensive.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The decision has already been made and backed by the Marquette City Commission.

Jiggers' comment is probably the best bet.

Ultimately the community decided it would rather have it little inland lake back for a variety of reasons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts