Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found this deer on our property Thursday (Huron County). This is the first deer we have found with these growth's on them. The deer did not have any obvious wound like it was shot and ran off or possibly hit by a car. The only abnormality we could find were these tumor's has anyone ever seen anything like them? We called the DNR and they told us to just discard of it. I would have like to have it tested to see what caused the deer to just die but the DNR didn't seem overly concerned, Should we be?

The tumors were very hard and the one you can see seemed to be weeping I personally have never seen such a thing, we didn't bother to gut the deer to check the inside we are unsure of how long the deer was dead and with the tumor's had no intention of eating the meat without knowing.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Were they just on the neck? Could they be hematoma's from fighting?

I found only one deer that had a tumor. It was born with it as it never grew more than a few weeks old in size and the growth was grapefruit sized when he died in early winter.

My dog has gotten tumors where she suffered injuries during her seizures. (thank goodness she doesn't do that anymore)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Those skin growths could be cutaneous papillomas that were ulcerated, not that uncommon in wt deer. These are viral in origin and not a danger for humans. Impossible to tell for sure without microscopic sections however.

NB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts