Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While out putting up cameras on the property I hunt, my partner and I found a six point dead and bloated. I am guessing it has been dead for about a day or two. There is no visible damage to the carcass (no coyotes). It looks healthy. What could cause this deer to have died. We can see marks in the dirt where this buck was flailing it's legs. I would also like to mention the neighbors are less than honorable and are already baiting. What else could cause a deer to die this time of year other than poaching? Again, no visible arrow holes from the side we can see. This deer is also 500 yards from any type of road. This is Shelby Township.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Despite the distance, it could have been hit by a car. Also a small caliber wound is not always easy to see from the outside as the hide and fat could seal the entry spot. The only way to know for sure is to open and skin which I would not recommend if it is bloated. It is a sure cause for losing your cookies. If there were signs of kicking and a struggle I just don't believe it was disease. If it were poison or disease they usually starve or thirst for awhile and then get into a fetal position and die. I would leave it lie and write it off to unknown causes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree that it may have been just clipped by a car.
Have you ever thought of giving a call to the DNR about the neighbors baiting illegally?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I agree that it may have been just clipped by a car.
Have you ever thought of giving a call to the DNR about the neighbors baiting illegally?
Or at least let them know about the animal that you found, they may want to test it...

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
it could have choked to death on something it was eating. that would explain the struggle signs. a car accident is more than likely the cause, but choking could have happened.

BTW.....i would report the illegal baiting as soon as possible......:fish:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did call the report all poaching line and they were not very interested. I actually met a CO this summer named Chris who was a real nice guy. I am going to put in a call to him this week. This property butts up to a large city park where hunting is illegal. The Clinton River separates the properties and the park. There are a lot of log jams and last year I glassed this guy in the park with his bow. I will get a picture of him this year doing it and make a call.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
It could have been shot with a 22. A few years ago my neighbor found a large bull elk dead on his property, there was no visible sign of injury and they notified the DNR about the carcass. It wasn't until the DNR scanned it with a metal detector did they find a .22 slug in the elks throat. That could explain how come it is so far from the road, and I would imagine a 22 is a common tool for poachers because of the lower report.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
We do disease surveillance for deer that die of unknown causes. If it appears to have not died of gunshot or obvious carkill, the deer should be examined. The MDNR does targeted surveillance and roadkill deer surviellance as part of Michigan's annual testing plan. Call your nearest DNR field office for information about reporting and submitting the deer for testing.
No free-ranging deer tested for CWD in Michigan to date have tested positive for CWD in Michigan.
Thanks.
Kristie

·
Registered
444 Posts
We do disease surveillance for deer that die of unknown causes. If it appears to have not died of gunshot or obvious carkill, the deer should be examined. The MDNR does targeted surveillance and roadkill deer surviellance as part of Michigan's annual testing plan. Call your nearest DNR field office for information about reporting and submitting the deer for testing.
No free-ranging deer tested for CWD in Michigan to date have tested positive for CWD in Michigan.
Thanks.
Kristie
Who said anything about CWD? Although I did think that at first.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Because I'm in charge if keeping track of CWD data, and the more deer we test that show symptoms that may be consistent with CWD, the better idea we have of whether we have CWD in this state or not.
Other states use Targeted surveillance as a good cost effectively way to look for outbreaks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah here in Lapeer i know of a few farmers that were issued permits to shoot deer off of there property. Some kind of crop damage permits or something. They have been killing deer for a month or so already. Kinda messes up our hunting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts