Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I delivered a load of concrete forms to the Pine St. Bridge project this morning. Had to walk the bank for a minute, and could not believe what I saw! We started seeing them in a Northern Huron trib a few years back, but nowhere near that many! Not gonna run right out and buy another boat just yet, but there is hope for the future.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
I was pretty mesmerized by the whole scene. I couldn't help but think "why couldn't you dip for these like you do smelt?". I also thought about what they taste like. They're a herring I think, so can't be that bad.
The biggest appeal to Smelt, is that we can fry and eat them, bones-and-all. Go ahead and try that with Alewives. Or Herring. Or shad. Or Cisco. Or Gobies. "Can't be that bad." :D

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's pretty nasty around TC beaches now. You can smell them from a good distance away even as you drive through. I've been sticking to Long Lake and Leelanau rather than the bay because of the smell. I saw a bunch of dead goby's along west bay as well. I'm hoping it's just part of of a normal cycle and a poorly timed spike in temp but it does seem odd. I know I haven't seen anything quite on this level but my time on these particular waters only goes back around 20 years. We shall see this summer and fall if this level of die of was a good sign or a bad one I suppose.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts