Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I guess I'll just post this here. I've been in Traverse City this week. At first I noticed a bunch of dead alewives floating in the Boardman. When I walked closer, I noticed the river is filled with them, thousands, from bank to bank. Literally, just filled. What's up with that? What are they doing right now?

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
I saw the same thing today at Union st bridge. The river was boiling with them jumping all over the place. Never seen that before.
We parked a few times in one of those pay lots that run right along side the river. At first I just noticed all the white sides, and some swimming sideways and jumping out of the water. But, if you looked closer you could then see the darker backs of all the ones still swimming fine. It was bank to bank, the whole stretch. I can't even say it was schools, as it was the whole river just filled. It was really something to see.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
12-13 years ago would get them in our smelt nets up at blue water bridge this time of year
I was pretty mesmerized by the whole scene. I couldn't help but think "why couldn't you dip for these like you do smelt?". I also thought about what they taste like. They're a herring I think, so can't be that bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts