Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across these this morning at the mouth of a stream I fish. I know this used to be a major issue but I can't say I can remember seeing this before in all my years of surf fishing here. Did they just get caught up in the heat and low oxygen yesterday? I know it was hot but the water temp here is still really cold. Many were still gasping for air.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
When it used to be an issue the beaches had to be bulldozed. Several feet deep. Those are simply strays, might have been wounded in a fish attack, temp shocked near a river channel, or otherwise diseased. Back in the day, we some times walked the beach at first light to find a couple before the birds did. We fished them on bottom for browns from the pier, and did better than the spawn guys.

It also means that location is going to be ready to sabiki in a few days, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When it used to be an issue the beaches had to be bulldozed. Several feet deep. Those are simply strays, might have been wounded in a fish attack, temp shocked near a river channel, or otherwise diseased. Back in the day, we some times walked the beach at first light to find a couple before the birds did. We fished them on bottom for browns from the pier, and did better than the spawn guys.

It also means that location is going to be ready to sabiki in a few days, lol.
If I didn't have to make my way to work, I would have re rigged and tossed one out there. I'm guessing temp shock because they were up and down the beach as far as I could see. Big winds blowing at this beach last two days as well.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I saw a lot of them dying in a marina on the other side of the lake in Port Washington about 5 years ago. I remember thinking it was odd, because I didn't think there were supposed to be many left.

·
Premium Member
12,491 Posts
If I remember right they have a yearly die off about this time of year. In the 60's the beach would be whith with them. Then after the salmon was panted that slowed down a lot but there were always a few wash up
Back in the 60's we went up to East Tawas and walked out on the pier (as usual) and there were alewives all over, dead and dying. The smell was atrocious and supposedly that was one main reason for planting salmon. Took a few years but the die offs diminished to almost nothing.

There must be a plentiful supply left as I remember reading an article (I believe on here somewhere) that the alewives prey on juvenile perch and walleye. That is second hand information so take it for what it is worth.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
There must be a plentiful supply left as I remember reading an article (I believe on here somewhere) that the alewives prey on juvenile perch and walleye. That is second hand information so take it for what it is worth.
Lol, those threads repeated again and again.

The guy who had a dream of a massive yellow perch planting program to keep out Asian carp, and eliminate alewife. Egads good times….

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I guess I'll just post this here. I've been in Traverse City this week. At first I noticed a bunch of dead alewives floating in the Boardman. When I walked closer, I noticed the river is filled with them, thousands, from bank to bank. Literally, just filled. What's up with that? What are they doing right now?

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I guess I'll just post this here. I've been in Traverse City this week. At first I noticed a bunch of dead alewives floating in the Boardman. When I walked closer, I noticed the river is filled with them, thousands, from bank to bank. Literally, just filled. What's up with that? What are they doing right now?
I saw the same thing today at Union st bridge. The river was boiling with them jumping all over the place. Never seen that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
I've seen them swarming in the river in TC, during their spawn. It was a long time ago - probably before the Mussels invaded our lakes. If they are thick again, that is a great sign for northern Lake Michigan. And that is relatively close to the straits, so maybe some will migrate to Huron, and spawn in rivers/streams/creeks over there.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I saw the same thing today at Union st bridge. The river was boiling with them jumping all over the place. Never seen that before.
We parked a few times in one of those pay lots that run right along side the river. At first I just noticed all the white sides, and some swimming sideways and jumping out of the water. But, if you looked closer you could then see the darker backs of all the ones still swimming fine. It was bank to bank, the whole stretch. I can't even say it was schools, as it was the whole river just filled. It was really something to see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts