Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good tool or trick for taking off fletchings on a carbon arrow? I have one of those razor blades that have a concave blade that's supposed to slide on the shaft easier, but i still get carbon chips flaking off. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Anyone have a good tool or trick for taking off fletchings on a carbon arrow? I have one of those razor blades that have a concave blade that's supposed to slide on the shaft easier, but i still get carbon chips flaking off. Thanks in advance.
After you take the majority off with a utility knife, take a potato peeler to it. Works great.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I simply just use a lockblade knife , I use it more as a scraper that a cutter, once you get the edge of the knife a bit dull i then use it holding the arrow in a downward position (hand on the insert side) and just take small strokes using light pressure. i have one of those nice de-fletcher tools but have found a knife to work better. if you have an old serrated edge knife sometimes you can hold it at the right angle and get the arrow to follow one of the serrations and it works good , just got to remember not to apply to much pressure to avoid a gouge.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
ZipStrip works great for me!:)
Me 2, thats all I use and have never had a problem.

If you are good enough you could shoot groups with Broadheads too:evil:

J-

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think i'm quite there yet. lol I'll maybe try the potato pealer since i have one of those. So do you cut just above the part of the fletching that attaches to the arrow? Maybe leaving a 1/32" on the arrow?

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I don't think i'm quite there yet. lol I'll maybe try the potato pealer since i have one of those. So do you cut just above the part of the fletching that attaches to the arrow? Maybe leaving a 1/32" on the arrow?
Yep. I usually will run my utility blade flush(parallel) with the shaft and take off as much as I can without touching the arrow. The break out the potato peeler and 'peel' the shaft just like a carrot.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts