Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Looks nice if everything works all the time but Like to see how wiring looks like behind the dash. My Lund has just a few gauges and wiring behind the dash is a mess and not accessible with my big head. My marine radio wires fell of and I cannot find where it was connected to.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Completely understand the wire battle.
That is exactly why I have everything not factory on a switch and breakers. Everything loomed and service loops. Main Feed wire runs to switches that has its own breaker at the power source. No reason to do things half a$$ when your all in.

·
Registered
622 Posts
If your boat is not originally new to you installs/upgrades can be healthy exercises to go through to remove wiring that is wrong or not needed.

does your boat have a NMEA network currently?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No the boat was completely original OEM outside of the Simrad. It came with a VFH radio Ray marine that was replaced a few years ago with the ICOM.

Now everything has NMEA 2000

I like to keep everything stand alone as much as possible. That way if something fails it will not take out the network.

Example both Simrads have Transducers - Both have Navionics Chips - both can run the Radar Dome independently.

The larger unit has a built in Auto Pilot - but I run the boat off a Simrad AP44 auto pilot head independently and that runs off its own GPS puck antenna independently.

The ICOM gps is network into the NMEA 2000 the Standard Horizon has its own antenna.

Each unit is supplied power off of the switch panel. Examples the GPS puck antenna power. Radar Antenna- Auto Pilot - Nac 2 computer - hydraulic steering pump just to list a few.

I have found supplying power to each unit independently eliminates inline fuses that are hard to get to and elementals wire spaghetti messes through the boat.

I will post behind dash wire harness and cables soon. I can show / share what has worked for me. If it can help someone great it someone spots a better idea that’s great I can correct it now easily vs later.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts