Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Darton Super Elite Ranger recurve at an auction recently. 58", 44#. A former owner painted it green at one point and also added a bow sight. I am a new bowshooter and have a few topics I'd like some advice on:
--arrows: size, length, weight, etc.
--care: wax or polish on the limbs?
--sight: is held on with 5 screws. If I decide to remove it eventually, will the bow be weaker where the sight was attached? (Based on what I've already seen hereon, I think I know how most of you might feel about a sight on a recurve, but being a new guy I think I will keep it for a while, especially if removing it might harm the bow).
--general tips for shooting well
--Any other advice you think someone like me would benefit from.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The screws on the sight, shouldn't hurt a thing. Ditch the sight - You don't need the crutch to shoot traditional well. Learn the correct way from the start. Best of luck and have fun - that's what it's all about !

·
Registered
637 Posts
I bought a Darton Super Elite Ranger recurve at an auction recently. 58", 44#. A former owner painted it green at one point and also added a bow sight. I am a new bowshooter and have a few topics I'd like some advice on:
--arrows: size, length, weight, etc.
--care: wax or polish on the limbs?
--sight: is held on with 5 screws. If I decide to remove it eventually, will the bow be weaker where the sight was attached? (Based on what I've already seen hereon, I think I know how most of you might feel about a sight on a recurve, but being a new guy I think I will keep it for a while, especially if removing it might harm the bow).
--general tips for shooting well
--Any other advice you think someone like me would benefit from.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
I have to agree that in general the sight will hinder your progress on anything other than targets at known distances.
Arrow length depends on your draw length, typically you'll want an arrow at least a 1/2" longer than your draw, but depending on paradox longer or shorter may have better flight for you.
Removing the screws will have no impact at all on the strength of the wood, the holes are already drilled, filling them with a screw didn't make them stronger.
Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. Every time you go out the FIRST shot is the most important as that is the one that will count in the field. The rest just teach muscle memory.

Did I mention practice?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. I removed the sight, which was arched with five screws in three different types and sizes (obviously not a professional installation). Still think I am OK to leave the holes as-is? Doesn't look like the bow would be weakened, but as a new guy I just want to be sure.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
strip it, sand it and fill the holes with epoxy mixed with wood dust. sand that smooth and spray with poly. It will look like new. Have fun!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts